Formal firearms education

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What FORMAL firearms training classes have you taken?

• Civilian, no formal firearms training.

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Currently in Military/Law Enforcement. No classes beyond required (CLEET continuing, etc.).

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Previously in Military/Law Enforcement. No classes beyond required (CLEET continuing, etc.).

Votes: 6 12.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1; a Concealed Carry Class.

Votes: 6 12.8%

Votes: 4 8.5%

Votes: 4 8.5%

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 5+.

Votes: 13 27.7%

• Total voters

AC37

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a follow up to this thread:

http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?123716-Your-level-of-training-and-experience.

According to poll results so far, right at 51% of respondents have taken some formal firearms training (beyond being in LE or mil, present or past). The question is this: for those of you who have actively sought out training beyond being in the military or LE present or past, how many formal firearms training classes have you taken, and what kind?

Last edited:

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
John Farnam: www.defense-training.com
Handgun and rifle/shotgun courses beginning in the mid 90's. Farnam's first rifle/shotgun course was an experimental course in the 90's and I was fortunate to attend. I have taken refresher courses since then from John and Vickie. I should add I have never had any Cleet/LEO training, I am just a civilian who has had his permit from damned near day one of the OK SDA Act going in to effect.

Last edited:

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whup some fuggin' azz: Level I & II
I'ma turn this muther out: Level I,II,& III
You gonna' get dealt wit:' Level I,II,III, & IV

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted do firearms training because there was not an option for hunter safety. After taking HS I applied info from that to handguns( finger off trigger until ready to fire and pointing in safe direction etc. ) But other than that no real formal training.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to poll results so far, right at 51% of respondents have taken some formal firearms training (beyond being in LE or mil, present or past). The question is this: for those of you who have actively sought out training beyond being in the military or LE present or past, how many formal firearms training classes have you taken, and what kind?

I've taken 4 classes besides going through the SDA class. Hmmmm ... Let's see if I can remember the titles ... Defensive Pistol, Pistol Retention Techniques, Shotgun and the Nightfire class put on by Surefire. That and GC insists on running me through the paces every time he comes home from a class -- some of which were put on by CLEET, some of which he took at USSA.

Latest posts

Top Bottom