Gar Fishing...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
took my gar lures to texoma last weekend and we ran into a spot by the islands where there were several gar surfacing but we couldn't get one to hit. Maybe next time

Try shiners near the surface or cut shad on the bottom next time and see what happens....

We just got back from the creek where we used cut shad for bait and made a big mistake by NOT using a heavier fishing line. We had our 7 ft. Spinning rods, 10 bearing Pfleuger reels and were spooled up with 14 lb. Cajun Red fishing line. We were able to get half a dozen or so fish to the surface and get a good look at them but, they had other plans. No matter how we had the reels drag set, we just could not hold these fish. This is the first time fishing here that they have made "power run surges" (for lack of a better description) and it was just like having your line tied to the bumper of a pick-up truck traveling down the highway! There was just no way to turn or stop them...

Next time though, we WILL be better prepared....

DAVID

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gave those lures a try yesterday with gar surfacing all around me. Between minnows and those lures, not a single bite. Guess they fed all night...I'll be back at them next weekend.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gave those lures a try yesterday with gar surfacing all around me. Between minnows and those lures, not a single bite. Guess they fed all night...I'll be back at them next weekend.

Well puppy poopy!!!

If it weren't such a long drive, I'd invite you to go gar fishing with me, down on the creek....

DAVID

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
took my gar lures to texoma last weekend and we ran into a spot by the islands where there were several gar surfacing but we couldn't get one to hit. Maybe next time

Just a heads up... when you see gar rolling, they arnt feeding. They are breathing, they come up and bit the top of the water and take air down shaking it through their gills oxygenizing the water. That's why gar roll more the hotter it gets. The hotter the water the lower the oxygen levels and the more they need to roll. Makes for fun shooting!
As far as feeding, night is defiantly when we see more feeding activity. We see tons of gar swimming around with shade hanging out of their mouths.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a heads up... when you see gar rolling, they arnt feeding. They are breathing, they come up and bit the top of the water and take air down shaking it through their gills oxygenizing the water. That's why gar roll more the hotter it gets. The hotter the water the lower the oxygen levels and the more they need to roll. Makes for fun shooting!
As far as feeding, night is defiantly when we see more feeding activity. We see tons of gar swimming around with shade hanging out of their mouths.

Ah, gotcha. And I call myself an outdoorsman....lol. Learn something new everyday.

DT, you're right, Vinita is a long drive. Oh well, I'm going to beat these gar one way or another. May have to outfit my compound bow that's as old as I am with some bowfishing gear (I don't want to mount it on my new bow, and re-sight in, etc) and take these guys out on the surface.

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Caught a few on a fly rod. They will really fight, but I couldn't figure how to get my fly back. So I just let them keep them. If any of you catch one that has a Royal Coachman in their mouth would you let Just Stan know. I'd really like the fly back.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was she using one of your lures? I haven't seen many surfacing recently, and with hunting seasons opening, my fishing gear is getting shoved to the back of the garage rather quickly :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom