Gar Fishing...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you Dennis...

You mean you can actually buy a lure like this? I don't guess I've ever seen one that was "commercially made"...

I would make a few for the guys over here if they asked but, other than that, the vast majority of my time is spent in the shop making barrels, building rifles, hunting handguns, installing muzzle brakes, "reworking" T/C Encore barrels, etc., etc....

Dennis, do you make your own gar lures or do you need me to make and send you a couple? :)

DAVID

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still have a few from our last run to Grand lake.
I do appreciate the offer though.
I'll look around and see if I can find one and post a pic of it.
I can assure you, it's no better than yours.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics D&T. I made some the other night (or attempted) and apparently did not have the right kind of rope. I couldn't get that stuff unbraided for nothing. It was not like the rope you used, but I know what I'm going to try next!

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
r00s7a,

thank you and I hope the pictures help out in making your own gar lures...

Depending on where I am going to be fishing at, as well as the size of the gar that I am targeting, I use rope I various sizes from 3/16", 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2", with bell sinkers from as light as 3/16 oz. up to 1 1/4 oz....

One of the lakes I used to fish in Mississippi had lots of really big gar in it and you had to look long and hard to find a gar that was less than 6 ft. in length as the vast majority was 8 ft. and bigger. These big guys were always fun to catch and fishing from a 14 ft. john boat, unless you were anchored solid, these big gar would literally pull you all over the lake....

DAVID

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you!

I cast and retrieve like a top water lure. When you spot a gar, cast out several feet in front of it and when the lure gets close to its nose, give the rod tip a couple of light twitches and that should trigger a strike. I catch a lot of gar like this and I think it's one of the more fun ways to catch them....

DAVID

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell me what size and weight you want and I'll make a couple up for you and send them to you. No charge and if you want them, just PM me your address and I'll try to have them in the mail first thing Monday morning....

DAVID

Latest posts

Top Bottom