Garand Kaboom

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can tell as she shoots each successive round, her control over the rifle deteriorates. She's probably not used to shooting it and wouldn't recognize the telltale signs of a squib.

I noticed that too. Heavy rifle with fairly heavy recoil for a small-framed woman.

Another M1 Garand lost forever, that is sad.

Ditto. I feel the same way when we lose a WWII warbird.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks squib to me, did she answer on the comments ever about whether the round she cleared was fired or not?

She sure did wimp the bolt back forward after clearing, but I wouldn't expect an OOB to go all blow'd up like that.

Another factor to consider is that military .30-06 for M1 Garands is loaded low compared to commercial .30-06. Normally, the shooting of commercial .30-06 can result in a bent op rod, but at the extreme end of pressure could it cause a kaboom too? :anyone:

Good learning lesson to be absolutely aware of what's going on.

I have seen the effects of commercial ammo and a bent op rod. Several years ago I sold one of my WWII M1's to some people, well a lady who has a son interested in the M1. I told them not to use commercial ammo if at all possible. Two months ago I was talking to one of the gunsmiths and he had that particular M1 in there for repair because of cycling problems. He had tried every thing he thought was possible and nothing helped. I brought one of my extra op rods made in the 50's and the rifle functioned perfectly. It was fairly obvious the old op rod was bent. Enough said, but that brings to mind commercial ammo in the M1 and even the M1A, and I know a fellow who bought an M1A two years ago and one day he is on the range and he had a double tap, if you will, or slam fire. As soon as he fired the first round cycled and before he could let the trigger reset, if you, well it fired the second round, I was watching and saw it happen. He was shooting Federal ammo, don't remember which grade of Federal though.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen the effects of commercial ammo and a bent op rod. Several years ago I sold one of my WWII M1's to some people, well a lady who has a son interested in the M1. I told them not to use commercial ammo if at all possible. Two months ago I was talking to one of the gunsmiths and he had that particular M1 in there for repair because of cycling problems. He had tried every thing he thought was possible and nothing helped. I brought one of my extra op rods made in the 50's and the rifle functioned perfectly. It was fairly obvious the old op rod was bent. Enough said, but that brings to mind commercial ammo in the M1 and even the M1A, and I know a fellow who bought an M1A two years ago and one day he is on the range and he had a double tap, if you will, or slam fire. As soon as he fired the first round cycled and before he could let the trigger reset, if you, well it fired the second round, I was watching and saw it happen. He was shooting Federal ammo, don't remember which grade of Federal though.

Easily taken care of with an adjustable gas regulator. Unfortunately most of these old rifles are bought sans instruction manual, so they don't even know what they don't know. :(

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Easily taken care of with an adjustable gas regulator. Unfortunately most of these old rifles are bought sans instruction manual, so they don't even know what they don't know. :(

Well, I provided the full instruction manuals and told them to call me if they had any problems, well, they never called, so that is life, what else could I have done? Nothing. I am just sayin' if someone can't trust me on an M1 then, I don't think they can trust anyone, but having said that, I believe they were ashamed to call me if you will, and I will leave it at that. Good night and good luck as ERM always said, but that was in the fifties.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I provided the full instruction manuals and told them to call me if they had any problems, well, they never called, so that is life, what else could I have done? Nothing. I am just sayin' if someone can't trust me on an M1 then, I don't think they can trust anyone, but having said that, I believe they were ashamed to call me if you will, and I will leave it at that. Good night and good luck as ERM always said, but that was in the fifties.

I wasn't speaking specifically of your sale, just Garand sales in general.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't speaking specifically of your sale, just Garand sales in general.

GTG, I know and understand that completely, but others on this forum may not do so. Over the last 20 years I have sold a few M1's and this is for others who may question me, to many people, but I literally pick the buyers and tell them if there is a problem or they need the money that I buy it back for whatever they have paid for the great rifle. Now, others on here may ask why do I do that? Well, I really don't want these rifles to go unattended, if you will. Thank you for my rant, but I am and always have been adamant about this. Again, thanks.
Lone Wolf

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really didn't see any indication of a squib. The last round out the barrel had a full-blown muzzle blast. The she triggered the next one and gave no sign that she got anything but a dead trigger. When she cleared it, she pull the charging handle back part way and removed the round by hand. Then she "eased" the bolt back toward battery.

I just think it may have been out of battery - way out of battery. I'm just glad she didn't get her hand blown off.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really didn't see any indication of a squib. The last round out the barrel had a full-blown muzzle blast. The she triggered the next one and gave no sign that she got anything but a dead trigger. When she cleared it, she pull the charging handle back part way and removed the round by hand. Then she "eased" the bolt back toward battery.

I just think it may have been out of battery - way out of battery. I'm just glad she didn't get her hand blown off.

That's the general consensus also over at the CMP forum, where they talk about M1 Garands all day long.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I've looked at the video a couple of times since and I just can't see any real sign of a squib.

She pulled the trigger and got nothing. She then removed the round (not a case) and chambered (sort of) another. Then, Kaboom.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I am assuming that if the charging handle would have been brought back fully to the rear, the out of battery fire could have been avoided correct? Are there any other improper techniques that would cause OOB fire? I don't need to be making a similar mistake with my own rifle...

Latest posts

Top Bottom