Garand Kaboom

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The woman in question posted this follow-up comment in her YouTube video (emphasis mine):

The 7th round was a live round. The M1 jammed like it often does. Instead of forcing that round into the chamber, I took it out and slammed the bolt forward. We are thinking the chamber did not close all the way. My brother's M1 will still fire that way.

So it's sounding more and more like an OOB incident.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never had a squib but if you close to your target you may not hear the crack of the round. I can't say for recoil, the local gunsmith was showing me a revolver a guy brought it that had a squib, then he stacked 6 more shots into it before it wouldn't spin the cylinder. Goes to prove some people just arnt very attentive, the funniest part is he had to reload

I have seen a few examples of this, all in Rugers. Gunsmith told me he had worked on a Blackhawk .44 mag with six rounds stacked up and with no damage to the gun.

I looked at the video closely. I agree that there was probably a bullet stuck in the barrel.

About steel cased ammo: I shot some Silver Bear ammo in a Ruger 77 Mk II 30-06 several years ago, and it jammed the action and kicked the crap out of me. I took it to a gunsmith who rubber hammered the bolt open. The primer had flowed. The rifle was okay, headspace, etc. was checked, but in a Garand, that much pressure would very likely have caused a kaboom.

As someone already said, the steel case was incidental. The massive overload was the issue. I broke down some of the remaining unfired rounds in that box and charges had a lot of variation. Since no harm was done I informed the supplier (who didn't seem to give a $h!t) and safely disposed of the last Silver Bear ammo I will ever buy. CB

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom