Gardens 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy that has a garden that I contributed to financially, gifted us some taters today.

IMG_3085.jpeg

He wanted to give more, but we can’t eat more before they spoil. They will stay healthy in the soil until we need more.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How do you get your onions to get that large of a bulb? Not one of mine are that large.
The bulbing process is initiated by daylight length. You want as much top growth before the bulbing is started. You also want a short day or intermediate day onion variety. Short day varieties will begin bulbing up first. They require less daylight length.

Intermediate day will be second to bulb up.
You'll get bigger bulbs as they will usually have a few more leaves before they start bulbing up.

The only problem with these two types are they do not have a very long storage life.

Most long day varieties have the longest shelf life but they need longer daylight length for bulbing up. They are grown in northern states because the the daylight length is longer in the summer.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Storing potatoes need to be in a cool dark place . Do not wash the dirt off. New potatoes have soft skin . Scrubbing them will remove the protective skin and allow bacteria in.
I use these stackable trays.
IMG_20240605_152045907.jpg
IMG_20240605_152033835.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom