getting serious with .22's???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hey you iron sight guys, give me some inspiration to shoot iron sights. my wife bought me a golden boy 22 mag couple years ago and it is super cool. but not long after that i ran onto a great deal on a pre warning DSP 1022. it had a beat up old tasco on it that i intended to change but when i tried it out, i found it was clear as a bell and dead on so i left it. since then just being able to hit a beer can at 50 yrds with iron sights is not as much fun as being able to punch out the o's in "coors" with the 1022. and being that i always liked traditional stuff, it just wouldnt be right to scope the henry but i end up shooting the ruger alot and the henry hardly ever.

i've been thinking about getting one of those flip up iron targets. looks like they'd be more fun than beer cans?

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hey you iron sight guys, give me some inspiration to shoot iron sights. my wife bought me a golden boy 22 mag couple years ago and it is super cool. but not long after that i ran onto a great deal on a pre warning DSP 1022. it had a beat up old tasco on it that i intended to change but when i tried it out, i found it was clear as a bell and dead on so i left it. since then just being able to hit a beer can at 50 yrds with iron sights is not as much fun as being able to punch out the o's in "coors" with the 1022. and being that i always liked traditional stuff, it just wouldnt be right to scope the henry but i end up shooting the ruger alot and the henry hardly ever.

i've been thinking about getting one of those flip up iron targets. looks like they'd be more fun than beer cans?

OH DAMMIT!!!!! How could I not think of that!!!! Great, now I need a .22WMR rifle too!!!!

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the flip up deal seems like it would be great fun at 25yds with revolvers too.

reckon there would be any danger of ricochets or backsplash at that range with 22's or 22mags?

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go_Ordnance, I've never seen those sniper targets before. They look pretty fun. I like shooting reduced size targets... my favorite are the 25m Army Qual. Test targets, like we use at our Appleseed marksmanshp clinics. They look like this:

[Broken External Image]

When posted at 25m, the targets are the same size in MOA as man-sized targets at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards. It is all shot from field positions (no bench rest or bipod)... Stage 1 is 10 rounds from standing in 2 min., Stage 2 is standing transitioning to seated (or kneeling) with mags of 2 and 8 in 55 sec., Stage 3 is standing transitioning to prone with mags of 2 and 8 in 65 sec., and stage 4 is 10 rounds prone in 5 minutes.

They are actually pretty challenging... especially those stages with position transitions and forced reloads under significant time pressure. If your fundamentals are off, these little guys will tell you, that's for sure. They also give you a rating based on your score, so you can see how you stack up based on Army standards: Unqualified, Marksman, Sharpshooter, or Expert. It is actually the AQT they used back in the '50s and '60s, in the days of the M-1 and M-14.

Reduced size targets are cool because you can shoot them with your battle rifles or your rimfires.

If you're at Fort Sill, you need to come down to the Appleseed on November 20-21. It will be at Badlands Tactical down in Grandfield. Bring your .22s for the 25m stuff, but bring your center fires too... we will also be shooting the full-distance AQT, as well as steel out to 1000 yards. If you're military, you shoot for free. Well, you still have to pay a $10 range fee to Sheriff Whittington, the owner of the sniper school, but it's still a bargain.

BluRaySS, you need to come out too, no matter what .22 you end up getting. If you want to really sharpen your fundamentals, especially if you're thinking about competition, Appleseed is the way to go. It is also more fun than can be described. Check out the link in my sig.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
henschman - Thanks for the heads up. I'm military (January will start my 24th year of service). So I've shot the Army's version of those targets many times. I'm not at Fort Sill anymore, and I'm attending school up at Fort Leavenworth.

The targets I shoot are at http://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html , at the bottom of the page. If you download and print them, you'll see they're much smaller than Army 25m paper targets. I normally use a Harris bipod when I shoot them.

Leggett71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best 1 hole 22 shooters I have in my arsenal are my Anchutz & Remington 514S. have a Kimber but they both out out shoot it at 100yds. As to pistols S&W's model 41 the old ones & Rugar's MK1 goverment are tops in keeping all the shots in the ten ring. A good all around non target 22 is the 39A can't be beat for popping squirrels.

Leggett71

ArealGunNut

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive never seen a small block chevy make more power than a 2jzgte (inline 6). heavily modded or not. rofl, must not have seen very many sbc's

and for another good laugh,

Glocks are like small block chevy's... Over abundant, and rarely impressive."
They are both abundant because they both work! now thats impressive!

What do Toyota's Glocks and SBC's have in common? You can't stop any of them!

Latest posts

Top Bottom