"Git off mah land!"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well if he has known you for years and still kicks you off his property he must not like you!!!

Agreed. And by the way you respond about "f**k that guy" then the new neighbor seems to be a fairly good judge of character. Maybe he doesn't want people like you on his property. I wouldn't blame him.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have the little missy bake up a batch of cookies. Place said cookies upon a platter which you don't mind never seeing again. Slick back your hair real good and put on your best Sunday suit. Carry yonder cookies over to his house and knock on the door. Explain in your best proper English that you are real sorry and the like and would he mind if you might could go forth and do stuff upon the grounds which you have previously trodden with reckless abandon, just like you used to could. He'd probably be ok with that.

Well, alrighty.
And don't let him read this thread. I think the answer would be........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've a sneaky suspicion this is going to end rather badly for the OP.

Just sayin'.

You've been given some pretty sage advice. My recommendation would be to either approach this guy like a adult, grown ass man, or stay the **** off his place.

It's douche bags like you, trying to find a technicality for trespass, that give ethical outdoor sportsmen a bad name.

Quit whining about losing access to a few hundred acres of land where you "used to know the owner". My family has sold thousands of acres of prime deer and quail habitat in the last few years that my father (who has been dead for 30 years) grew up hunting; and I learned to hunt with him and my uncles and granddad. We no longer have access to any of it, and nobody is pouting and whining about it. It's life. Sometimes it sucks, and you should probably get used to that.

I've little tolerance for guys like you, because you make it hard for guys like me to get permission to hunt on private land. Your attitude about this situation sucks. You're acting like a spoiled kid, and it's damn unbecoming of an adult outdoors man.

+1.. I've lost access to land that I hunted and fished for 10 years because the ownership changed hands within the family and the new owner got tired of others (not me) taking advantage of them and tresspassing constantly. Landowners got fed up with it and denied access to everyone, locked the gates and will prosecute anyone that is caught out there. Still good friends with landowner and I understand where their position.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heh heh, it's just "the Creek". That's where my parents used to know where to find me. I had my best adventures there. Me without the creek is like the Bandit without his Trans Am.

Alot of the land around chouteau creek is Corps land, the only parts I can think of that arn't is 2-3 miles NW of town, most of the rest is Corps land, Where is it your trying to access?

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I was riding my ATV in the woods along the creek where I live in Mayes County. These are my old riding and plinking grounds since I was a kid. The landowner is a family friend and allowed me to mess around there. This time, as I am pulling out on the road, a neighbor is driving by and stops. He tells me he bought the land 2 years ago and that I am not allowed back there "No more".
OK, I'm missing something here. The current landowner is a family friend, or the family friend landowner sold it to another neighbor who is now telling you to stay off?

Either way, it sounds like there was really poor communication in both directions. Seems like if it was sold, the old family friend forgot to tell the neighbor about who he had allowed back there. Seems like the neighbor could have said something to you two years ago when they bought it.

Is there bad blood there for some reason? Any chance someone else could have torn something up and the guy is blaming you for it?

Were you geared up on the ATV, and maybe he didn't recognize you?

Seems like if either or both of you would humble up a little, you might have your playplace back.

uniquediversity

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think your idea of floating down it in a canoe, without touching the bank, is your little way of protesting.
- You hit the nail on the head. Eff that guy.

That's not a good way to stay in good relations with your neighbor.
- Point taken, but also, Eff that guy.

It's his land, so I'll stay off now. I can still plink at the bridge over the creek. But I'm taking it back after the Zombie Apocalypse.

are you talking about the bridge near hwy 69 that is just a road now and the bridge is down going accross the creek. kinda by the public hunting land.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A glimmer of hope! A guy work says the Corps of Engineers should own a section of the bank on both sides of the crick. Going to have to dig some more, I guess.
They don't own the land/creek bed but do control what is done in the creek under Sec 10 and 404 of the Clean Water Act. The creek is considered navigable by several means subject to the Corps interpretation, one being historically navigable. If an Indian could have paddled up it then it was navigable. Another criteria used was if you could step across the stream. If the owner tried to reroute the creek, placed any fill in it or built a dock on it then he would need a Corps permit.

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma water rights are strange, all surface water belongs to the people of oklahoma, BUT not the land surrounding the water.

Not that it matters for the sake of this thread, but I don't think your understanding of Oklahoma water rights is accurate.

I'll paraphrase Title 60, section 60 of the Oklahoma Statutes:

 Diffused water, i.e. water flowing over the surface of the earth and not forming a definite stream, is owned by the owner of the land.
 Groundwater (i.e., water flowing under the surface but not forming a definite stream) is owned by the owner of the land.
 Stream water (i.e., water flowing in a definite stream) is public water subject to appropriation.

This is a simply put explanation without getting into Riparian rights regarding Stream water.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you just proved 1shots position. I'm sure he was refering to a stream, vs surface water.
Ok water laws are strange.

One also has to go to the NRCS if they want to put in a pond. Its not legal to intercept water in a natural watershed that may starve water from somebody that is making a living from the drainage.
Another thread, I guess.

Latest posts

Top Bottom