Gold Rush

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swoklagunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am guessing they are making pretty good money from Discovery Channel just for being on the show. What gets on my nerves is how every 5 minutes, some small event could end their season.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On on of the post show interviews, Todd is saying that the move to the Yukon was a blessing in disguise and the guys are smiling. It SOUNDS from this that eventually they found some gold this season.

Are they businessmen, do they make good decisions, would they make it if the network was not supporting them - NO. I don't mean to be harsh but they do not seem to be the sharpest knifes in the kitchen and it does not surprise me that TOdd was in Morton's Steak House (i.e. about $45 per person). - I think he is pretty lazy but a good talker.

As far as it being scripted, I don't think the whole thing is. To me, those guys are really concerned about making some money and supporting their family. The look on their face and the strain in their voices seems real to me. But what do i know, been fooled before.

I was wondering why there are, what - 5, 6 guys with the Hoffman group and Dokato Fred's group is him and his son and at the young mans mine it is usually him and sometimes TWO employees and sometimes his granddad. With Todd's group they are going to have to make a lot to 1)cover expenses 2)split the money so many ways. I do think that they have so many guys to make the show work, so many story lines, and that that many men are not really feasible in a real mine to make a decent living.

j-dubb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you think its NOT scripted your crazy. It is supposedly Friday's #1 TV show being watched and you think they are broke? lol I guarantee they are making some really good money per episode. Discovery is making a ton of money off that show and you better believe they will pay those idiots a lot of money to show up. Like for instance you think they just magically found a new place to mine gold after they lost their first claim? Oh and you think they actually didn't know they were going to lose their first claim? They had a TV show with millions on the line, but they didn't know they missed a payment and Dakota Fred would slide in and buy it? Discovery had no idea that was going to happen? lol Yet you think their reactions like getting mad a Fred were real and they didn't know in advance? I could go on and on about the obvious stuff. Even better do you watch the TV show Black Gold? It's about the oilfield more importantly a Drilling Rig drilling for oil and the daily routine. You want to talk about a scripted reality TV show.

GroupGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is funny to see what people are posting about what they think the guys are thinking or feeling and whether it is scripted or not. Like watching kids argue whether professional wrestling is real or not. "Scripted" means gathering at the beginning of the day and going over "Here's what's going to happen today and here is how you are to react". Situations are created and the crew's reactions are prescripted. With all the drama they only get a few hours of work in per day. I don't know about you, but if I only had a 150 days to make hay I would be working 16 hour days to get gold. When's the last time you saw those guys working through the night? This isn't my opinion. Spend twenty minutes googling and you'll see for yourself. It's that way with most of the shows on TV now. Think the Moonshiner guy wouldn't be in jail already if the show wasn't scripted? The Skunk Whisperer is another show we watch and I know that situations are created on that show for TV purposes.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is funny to see what people are posting about what they think the guys are thinking or feeling and whether it is scripted or not. Like watching kids argue whether professional wrestling is real or not. "Scripted" means gathering at the beginning of the day and going over "Here's what's going to happen today and here is how you are to react". Situations are created and the crew's reactions are prescripted. With all the drama they only get a few hours of work in per day. I don't know about you, but if I only had a 150 days to make hay I would be working 16 hour days to get gold. When's the last time you saw those guys working through the night? This isn't my opinion. Spend twenty minutes googling and you'll see for yourself. It's that way with most of the shows on TV now. Think the Moonshiner guy wouldn't be in jail already if the show wasn't scripted? The Skunk Whisperer is another show we watch and I know that situations are created on that show for TV purposes.

Truth this. That far north you get about 20 hours of daylight during the summer. Everyone else I know up there takes advantage off it. If they take anytime off it's either Saturday or Sunday. Otherwise they are busting there hump.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Truth this. That far north you get about 20 hours of daylight during the summer. Everyone else I know up there takes advantage off it. If they take anytime off it's either Saturday or Sunday. Otherwise they are busting there hump.

That's why they can grow punkins the size 'o trucks.
Explains the Hoffman crew's rapid beard growth as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom