Good and Bad of the AXIS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My only complaint on the Axis is the trigger. Looks like the Axis II has the accutrigger. I just recently found out about the Axis 2. When I consider lower price point rifles, I put the ruger American in first place. Having owned accu triggers in the past I would probably say it'd be a toss up between the American and Axis 2. Like some have stated above, a tough long trigger can kill deer just as dead as a clean crisp one. Adrenaline makes lots of imperfections disappear. Sitting at the bench a target shooting is where I think a nice trigger really comes into play. It's kinda one of those deals where you don't know what your missin out on until you feel the difference. My boss recently brought me three savage Axis 243 youth scope combos to sight in for his grandsons. A neighbor was here shooting his savage accu trigger and when he shot one of these Axis we were sighting in he commented on the trigger be long, stiff and breaking rough. He is by no means a no frills kinda guy. Well, there's my opinion and experience. Almost forgot, the bolts run very rough compared to the Ruger American. Ok, that's it.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the record, my preference is something in wood stock, remington, savage or winchester. I just wondered what the deal was with the AXIS
Ther is no deal other than a real good price for a great rifle for hunting. If your wanting it for something else then there is a lot to pick at on the axis.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I struggle with this EVERY YEAR. My pdog gun is a Savage (B-mag). EVERY YEAR it does exactly what I want it to and EVERY YEAR I cook up some badass replacement that will gain me absolutely nothing except an empty wallet and EVERY YEAR I gotta talk myself out of it.

Be careful, one day you might find yourself behind a rifle who's bolt feels like it's rolling on ball bearings, a trigger that breaks like a glass rod, and shoots dime size groups so easy it should be outlawed. You'll say to yourself, this rifle is worth the extra coin, I'll take it.

I had this experience with a GAP built rifle on a Badger action/Jewel trigger. Thankfully it wasn't for sale.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be careful, one day you might find yourself behind a rifle who's bolt feels like it's rolling on ball bearings, a trigger that breaks like a glass rod, and shoots dime size groups so easy it should be outlawed. You'll say to yourself, this rifle is worth the extra coin, I'll take it..
Exactly. I have a couple of those. There is a difference.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know there's a difference, and I have many that are much much nicer than the Bmag...but for what it does and what I need...its pretty ideal. Ammo is cheap, rifle is affordable and paid for, it kills the pdogs I point it at. I'd rather put that money towards John Browning design guns for my collection than vaporizing rodents.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one in .223 and now it has a Riflebasic Trigger. Off the bench it will group 5 shots that you can cover with a quarter at 100 yds.. I have a 3 x 9 Nikon scope on it. I don't know what people think a rifle in this price range should do.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think most of the time when folks complain about something they don't factor price into the equation. Does the Axis perform its task? Yep. Does it have things that can be complained about? Yep. Pretty much boils down to what a person wants to spend. I don't think it's one of those purchases a guy should feel like he was cheated or anything.