Good and Bad of the AXIS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think people want precision quality on a 10/22 budget.

My buddy bought his daughter a 243 Axis...toss a scope and Timney in it and you got a deer slayin machine for cheap. I'd find it hard to beat for the price point. Nothing fancy or heirloom quality...but dead is dead.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
So it's just that it is a budget rifle, like the Remington 783?

My understanding is that unlike the 783 it is at least a decent rifle.

What you won't get with it is the aftermarket support of the top of the line guns.

Out of the box it's probably *better* (more accurate, reliable) than most old guns were off the shelf.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think people want precision quality on a 10/22 budget.

My buddy bought his daughter a 243 Axis...toss a scope and Timney in it and you got a deer slayin machine for cheap. I'd find it hard to beat for the price point. Nothing fancy or heirloom quality...but dead is dead.
Both my girls my grandson and son in law hunt with the savage axis great guns in our opinion

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It depends on whether you're talking of the original AXIS or the AXIS II with Accutrigger. From what I've seen the original AXIS was good but the II with Accutrigger is a step above the original. It's not a premium/precision rifle--otherwise, how could Walmart sell it--but it'll get the job done at a reasonable price.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most people I know require a certain level of "cool" factor when it comes to their firearms. The Savage AXIS has zero. Let's face it, you're not going to run to your buddies truck to see his brand new AXIS. Unless maybe if he put a nice Nightforce scope on it........but why?

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most people I know require a certain level of "cool" factor when it comes to their firearms. The Savage AXIS has zero. Let's face it, you're not going to run to your buddies truck to see his brand new AXIS. Unless maybe if he put a nice Nightforce scope on it........but why?

I struggle with this EVERY YEAR. My pdog gun is a Savage (B-mag). EVERY YEAR it does exactly what I want it to and EVERY YEAR I cook up some badass replacement that will gain me absolutely nothing except an empty wallet and EVERY YEAR I gotta talk myself out of it.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The axis the kids own do not have the accu triggers but when they pull the trigger what they are shooting at is just as dead as one shot with a rifle costing three to four times more

Latest posts

Top Bottom