Good and Bad of the AXIS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a good rifle, what's purpose is killing game, I'd spend up to $550, without a scope, with a good scope, $750, but that's tops. I'd spend more for a 45/70 lever (mainly because they cost $700 and up), plus the 45/70 fulfills two purposes, close range hunting and collection dreams.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My understanding is that unlike the 783 it is at least a decent rifle.

What you won't get with it is the aftermarket support of the top of the line guns.

Out of the box it's probably *better* (more accurate, reliable) than most old guns were off the shelf.
So the opinion is that the Axis is better than the 783?

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one in .223 and now it has a Riflebasic Trigger. Off the bench it will group 5 shots that you can cover with a quarter at 100 yds.. I have a 3 x 9 Nikon scope on it. I don't know what people think a rifle in this price range should do.

It does everything it should and then some but it does it like this: while using a pry bar lift the bolt and drag it across the gritty action rails while it flops side to side. Make sure to slide the bolt straight and forward along the gritty rails or the bolt will bind. Use a dead blow hammer to close the bolt. While maintaining a proper shooting position place your finger on the very narrow trigger shoe and break the shot.

What’s not to love for a few hundred dollars?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a couple Savage .308 rifles the model 10 heavy barrel and yea they are good shooters but the Axis in .223 will out shoot them.
Yea I said it..I have 2 of the Axis rifles in .223 and not accu trigger.
Triggers are easy to tweak though.
2 different loads in my Axis the one it likes and the load my AR15 likes which printed low and right.
That 3 shot .291" center to center includes cold bore shot.. Tasco 6-24x42 target varmint scope.
lex 100 yard 002.JPG

Need another. how about 400 yards.
400 yard .223 axis.jpg

Another. with different loads and this same load above in the group.. the same load above printed 3 shots at .800" center to center in the target below.. 2 bullets went into the same ragged hole.
Toss stones at the Axis all you want.. yes the bolt is not as smooth as some guns..I care less though as it works and what I shoot at dies with 1 shot every time.
I went hog and antlerless deer hunting the other day and I have many guns to choose from..I took the Axis in .223.
I know what the 55gr Vmax does to hogs and deer and it is more accurate than my ruger American .308 and more accurate than my model 10 with accu trigger.
Could be the .223 is just a very accurate round. I think the barrel with the tiny round does not whip as much as the .308" rounds.
I love the Axis .223 i have.

savage axis different loads 300 yards.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys with off the shelf guns with your hand loads or even store ammo post your group size pictures with your Rugers or other guns. Lets see some 100 yard 200 yard 300 yard and 400 yard group sizes.
Don't need a 5 shot as these are hunting guns..show the cold bore and a couple other shots to go with it.
That .800" 300 yard above the first 2 bullets were shot back to back chambered out of the magazine.
Shot 3 was 45 minutes later chambered out of the magazine and it went into the same hole as one of the other bullets.
The gun is consistent.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Axis without the accu has a terrible trigger right out of the box. Only thing terrible about it. I dont know anything about the 783 but I would take even an non accu trigger axis over a 770 any day of the week. Id take an axis over 2 770s.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one in .223 a few years ago. For the price, I think it is a good gun. It came with a scope that was junk, but change the scope and it was a good shooter.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My savage accutrigger the original accutrigger was nothing to write home about.
You could get it to 2.75 lbs and there it would not be safe .. you could drop or jar the gun and it would fire off the round that was chambered.
The issue was it is adjustable and to adjust it you twisted a screw which relieved tension on a spring by letting it become longer in the seated position.
You could turn the screw until the spring had almost no tension just sitting there limp. This was dangerous and you could not close the bolt and catch and hold the sear.

I had to fix that trigger also as 3+ lb trigger for shooting way far distances kind of sucked. I expected better i suppose.
It needed a spring that had smaller wire diameter and less spring rate so it could hold up the mechanical part and still be light.
I fixed it and it was a very nice trigger after that.
The newer accutriggers are better in that department.

The absolute best triggers I have ever fired from a factory gun were double set design.
The Hawken black powder and the Marlin Ballard single shot lever action with a double set trigger made before 1890.
Those triggers are so sweet you wonder with today's technology what happened to a good trigger.. seems like your 6 year old could be building them better.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This Axis vs "other low price point" rifles could be a fun comparison at one of the OSA gatherings yall have. If I'm able to come to the next one y'all have I can provide 2 compact Ruger Americans. One in 22-250 and one in 223.