Good and Bad of the AXIS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This Axis vs "other low price point" rifles could be a fun comparison at one of the OSA gatherings yall have. If I'm able to come to the next one y'all have I can provide 2 compact Ruger Americans. One in 22-250 and one in 223.
Here is the deal.
At nominal ranges like the standard 100 yard, with today's modern CNC machining practices that hold tolerances lower than .0005 for everything, You can get almost any rifle to put a sub 1" group.....maybe.
The reason I said maybe is because there are those little idiosyncrasies in machining processes that allow for tool wear.
When the machinist in a barrel manufacturing facility starts his day they will put in a new blank, and a new insert into the tool holder into his machine. (I'm keeping this really simple, but it's much more complex)
The machinist will turn out the first blank, take it to a CMS (coordinate measuring machine) to see if everything is ok.
After that, EVERY barrel that that machinist turns out will deteriorate because the carbide insert used to machine that barrel has wear on it. How much deterioration will depend on the company producing the barrel and what their quality control specs are that is determined by the profit that company needs.

Each barrel produced after that will not meet the tolerances of the first barrel that was spec'd.
Saying that, there are machine tools that will measure tool wear after every machining operation and make adjustments to keep 100% replication, but it takes time, and time is what kills productivity and consequently profits.
If every gun were perfect, there would be no need to reload.
We reload to tune our loads to the gun that has minor imperfections so they can match the harmonics of the barrel and the imperfections that the machining processes left in the barrel we have to overcome.
100 yards isn't any measure of a barrel. When you stretch it out to to longer ranges, the price you paid for the precision machining, Trigger, all comes into play, and the inexpensive mass produced guns do not stand up to the test.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the deal.
At nominal ranges like the standard 100 yard, with today's modern CNC machining practices that hold tolerances lower than .0005 for everything, You can get almost any rifle to put a sub 1" group.....maybe.
The reason I said maybe is because there are those little idiosyncrasies in machining processes that allow for tool wear.
When the machinist in a barrel manufacturing facility starts his day they will put in a new blank, and a new insert into the tool holder into his machine. (I'm keeping this really simple, but it's much more complex)
The machinist will turn out the first blank, take it to a CMS (coordinate measuring machine) to see if everything is ok.
After that, EVERY barrel that that machinist turns out will deteriorate because the carbide insert used to machine that barrel has wear on it. How much deterioration will depend on the company producing the barrel and what their quality control specs are that is determined by the profit that company needs.

Each barrel produced after that will not meet the tolerances of the first barrel that was spec'd.
Saying that, there are machine tools that will measure tool wear after every machining operation and make adjustments to keep 100% replication, but it takes time, and time is what kills productivity and consequently profits.
If every gun were perfect, there would be no need to reload.
We reload to tune our loads to the gun that has minor imperfections so they can match the harmonics of the barrel and the imperfections that the machining processes left in the barrel we have to overcome.
100 yards isn't any measure of a barrel. When you stretch it out to to longer ranges, the price you paid for the precision machining, Trigger, all comes into play, and the inexpensive mass produced guns do not stand up to the test.
Yep, tighter tolerances mean more tool changes, more $$$ and better end results. That's not to say that mass production cant perform very well, just not top tier

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought the original Axis in .243 for my son several years ago. It is capable of MOA at 100 yards with the right ammo, we've never really shot it at longer ranges, bolt isn't gritty like some said of theirs. He is a casual shooter, only hunts during deer gun season, so the rifle is a fit for his use. Now if he ever wanted to go after Kodiak bears, then no, the rifle would not be fit for use.