Good ol' S&W 617

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This comfortable ten-shooter is a staple of my handgunning. Thousands of rounds. Comes to the range almost every time. Sometimes it's all I shoot -- no mags to load, just the revolver and a few boxes of .22 LR and you have an afternoon's entertainment for $12-$16 (and that's using Mini-Mags or other nice ammo).

It's a hoot to shoot steel plates with, practice bullseye with -- pretty much any kind of fun shooting. Also great to introduce beginners to the revolver.

It is a shame they have become so expensive. A new one today will run you not much less than $700, which is kind of nuts. (I paid a lot less several years back.) It makes it hard to recommend the 617 to newbies. But if they can spare the bucks they will likely enjoy the revolver for many years to come.

The S&W internal lock is lame, but I don't get as worked up about it on a target/fun gun like this.

One of the last guns I'd sell.

Attachments

• SSCN0698.JPG
    SSCN0698.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 400
  • SSCN0699.JPG
    SSCN0699.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 368

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've thought about buying one of the recent run of Model 63s with eight shot cylinders. Little stainless kit gun.

There is a 3" barrel model that is almost ideal, except it has the Hi-Viz front sight. (I dislike the imprecision of a rounded front sight post.) And the lock. And it's pushing $700.

ETA: Beautiful stocks, Stingray. :cool:

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned several auto and revolver .22 pistols and shot quite a few. The two I have now are the 41 and 617. Smith and Wesson just seem to know how to make .22's that are a step above everything else (that's readily accessible).

Confucius say: "I see a model 18 in your future"

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sure don't understand why S&W .22 revolvers are sooooo expensive.

you can't convince me there's a spit worth of difference mfg a .22 DA revolver vs say .38/.357 DA revolver that's available for 1/2 the price.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, a new S&W .357 Mag (686P) goes for around $680 too. Same price. And three fewer holes to bore in the cylinder than a 617.

If you want a .38+P, a new S&W 67 (stainless K frame sixshooter) is only about $100 less. Definitely not half the price!

All new S&W revolvers have become way expensive in the past few years.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice pistols. I love the lines on them. These are very high on my want list. If they weren't so dang expensive, I'd definitely have one already. For now, I'll just be happy with my Kit Gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom