Handgun license turn around time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnuner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure this applies since you stated the protective order is "emergency" but if it's permanent the sheriff can issue a temporary license good for 6 months while you are waiting for your regular license. It's on page 8 in the SDA Law book #11.

"11. Notwithstanding the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or any other provisions of law, any
person who has been granted a permanent victim’s protective order by the court, as provided for in the
Protection from Domestic Abuse Act, may be issued a temporary handgun license for a period not to
exceed six (6) months. A temporary handgun license may be issued if the person has successfully
passed the required weapons course, completed the application process for the handgun license, passed
the preliminary investigation of the person by the sheriff and court clerk, and provided the sheriff proof of
a certified permanent victim protection order and a valid Oklahoma state photo identification card or
driver license. The sheriff shall issue a temporary handgun license on a form approved by the Oklahoma
State Bureau of Investigation, at no cost. Any person who has been issued a temporary license shall
carry the temporary handgun license and a valid Oklahoma state Photo identification on his or her person
at all times, and shall be subject to all the requirements of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when carrying
a handgun. The person may proceed with the handgun licensing process. In the event the victim’s
protection order is no longer enforceable, the temporary handgun license shall cease to be valid;"

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
are there not exigent circumstances when you have a valid threat against you that allows you to carry without a license? either way I would also rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6... getting caught is generally a misdemeanor and small fine(although they will likely confiscate the firearm) IIRC.

AbundantEntropy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everything is cleared except they haven't heard back from mental health yet. Ill be asking my therapist about that soon. Just situational depression. Shouldn't be an issue rigjt?

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ruckus, I read this whole thread and I didn't see anyone address one mistake in your original post. It was about your mentioning the protective order. You are only prohibited from owning a firearm if you are the defendant in a protective order. You are the plaintiff, so the fact that you were forced to take out a protective order against someone does not count against you in owning/purchasing a gun or applying for a carry permit.

AbundantEntropy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ruckus, I read this whole thread and I didn't see anyone address one mistake in your original post. It was about your mentioning the protective order. You are only prohibited from owning a firearm if you are the defendant in a protective order. You are the plaintiff, so the fact that you were forced to take out a protective order against someone does not count against you in owning/purchasing a gun or applying for a carry permit.
That's what I thought

Latest posts

Top Bottom