Handgun license turn around time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
90 days here as well, been awhile though. I know it wasn't longer than 3 months, applied in summer had it by my b-day (early nov)

it'll be like going to the mailbox one day expecting another bill from da man and then there she is...woot!

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can still carry it while youre waiting- just not on your body loaded while out in public or loaded while in the car. You dont have to live in fear.

Per SDA, a person cannot legally carry a handgun on their person, loaded or unloaded, without a license.

A person can carry in vehicle, unloaded, and without a license, if gun is in the following four positions.
1. out in the open
2. in a gun case/box wholly or partially in view
3. in a rack in the window
4. in an exterior locked compartment like a trunk or toolbox

TPower

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Per SDA, a person cannot legally carry a handgun on their person, loaded or unloaded, without a license.

A person can carry in vehicle, unloaded, and without a license, if gun is in the following four positions.
1. out in the open
2. in a gun case/box wholly or partially in view
3. in a rack in the window
4. in an exterior locked compartment like a trunk or toolbox

according to the SDA you can open carry a weapon at you residence

TITLE 21 § 1289.6 CONDITIONS UNDER WHICH FIREARMS MAY BE CARRIED
A. A person shall be permitted to carry loaded or unloaded shotguns, rifles and pistols, open and not concealed, and without a handgun license as authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act pursuant to the following conditions:

6. For lawful self-defense and self-protection or any other legitimate purpose in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person; or

you can carry at your residence open with out a license.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
according to the SDA you can open carry a weapon at you residence

TITLE 21 § 1289.6 CONDITIONS UNDER WHICH FIREARMS MAY BE CARRIED
A. A person shall be permitted to carry loaded or unloaded shotguns, rifles and pistols, open and not concealed, and without a handgun license as authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act pursuant to the following conditions:

6. For lawful self-defense and self-protection or any other legitimate purpose in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person; or

you can carry at your residence open with out a license.

Thank your for that addition. Law is different when you are on your own your property (even rented), residence vs. off of this property and OUTSIDE. I think this was added to the SDA 11/1/13 or 11/1/12. I think 11/1/13.

There have been people arrested by county sheriff for carrying open on their own property, without a license, as the deputy was not up to date on the law. In one case the deputy's dash cam proved the person never crossed the property line but stayed on their property - arrested but later not fined.

According to this law, a person without a license, could be carrying a handgun loaded and mowing their lawn in Tulsa for example. I wonder if a LEO drove by if he would stop.

AbundantEntropy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well called osbi today they said they recieved it on the 15th I think from the sheriffs office (kinda funny I turned it into tcso on the 7th) but they said its passed and should have it in the mail in the next 2 weeks.

Crusader8207

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I received my instructor license last week, then I got a call from OSBI today stating "um, you shouldn't have received that, we can't find your finger print cards"...... so I have a license in hand but I need to get finger printed again. Oh and it took 35 days to get.

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Sorry mine took a full 13 months"

They really wanted to deny me but had no legal reason to do so. I was 50/50 even applying.

Latest posts

Top Bottom