Have you lost interest in guns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I’ve aged the last few years its come to my attention I’m just not as interested in firearms as I was. I added a couple to my collection in the last few years but Im shooting less and less. Some of it has been eye sight related and the fact I’ve had to start wearing a distance prescription, some of it has been increasing costs of ammunition and reloading components ( specifically primers) and the fact I can’t replace them for what I paid . And then last year a shoulder injury occurred and surgery this year early used up the best part of a year in recovery. I did everything the doc said to include waiting till the end of august to shoot again. Even waiting till August led my to the epiphany that shooting a 308 was painful and that it seems only a 5.56 didn’t upset the sensibilities of my repaired shoulder. Supposedly by November I should be good to go again but that shooting session still has left me with questions about what’s really tolerable for me.

I was told that while that repair to my joint fixed things it’s never going to be as good as it was. So here I am researching the 6 mm ARC and preparing to look at uppers in hopes that it’s less upsetting to my shoulder and contemplating downsizing depending on how this shoulder feels at the one year mark in December.

Anyway gas anyone else been through similar things that changed this hobby for you?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I bought used oddball calibers years and years, and they were usually very cheap. Obummer came along and folks stopped selling. I used to shoot and reload weekly, now I just shoot enough to keep up my handgun shooting skills and that's about it. Maybe a shot or two from the rifle I'll deer hunt with before season.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I'm gettin older (looking at 73)

Still very interested in firearms. Took my beloved 270 out the other day and about 4 rounds was all my arthritic shoulder could take. Scared to try my 45/70 hot loads :)

Find myself shooting 22's and 223's more and more.

Can still handle my 45acp and 44 mag pistols ok, but don't shoot as much as I used to.

One good thing about Black Powder, you can load as heavy or light as you want to on the spot.

I know its gonna hurt if I have to use it in self defense, but I'm not giving up my double barrel 12 gauge!

00.02 worth

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I’ve aged the last few years its come to my attention I’m just not as interested in firearms as I was. I added a couple to my collection in the last few years but Im shooting less and less. Some of it has been eye sight related and the fact I’ve had to start wearing a distance prescription, some of it has been increasing costs of ammunition and reloading components ( specifically primers) and the fact I can’t replace them for what I paid . And then last year a shoulder injury occurred and surgery this year early used up the best part of a year in recovery. I did everything the doc said to include waiting till the end of august to shoot again. Even waiting till August led my to the epiphany that shooting a 308 was painful and that it seems only a 5.56 didn’t upset the sensibilities of my repaired shoulder. Supposedly by November I should be good to go again but that shooting session still has left me with questions about what’s really tolerable for me.

I was told that while that repair to my joint fixed things it’s never going to be as good as it was. So here I am researching the 6 mm ARC and preparing to look at uppers in hopes that it’s less upsetting to my shoulder and contemplating downsizing depending on how this shoulder feels at the one year mark in December.

Anyway gas anyone else been through similar things that changed this hobby for you?
I have had a similar path as you. Shoulder surgeries that inhibited shooting, afterwards 308 ( very limited at that) or smaller is all I want. Now I have bone spurs in both elbows that prevent locking my arms straight for handgun shooting. Shooting handguns has been like relearning all over but it come around after awhile. I still buy a gun here and there and shoot every couple weeks but its limited.

My biggest loss was bow hunting, I was serious about it. Shoulders want let me do it anymore, shot a long bow, practiced 30 minutes to hour everyday. I tried after my surgery to continue bow hunting with a crossbow. What I finally realized is it wasn't the bowhunting that I truely missed. It was the work and prep of mastering a skill, consistantly taking of game with that skill was the climax that you mastered it. Crossbows you sight them in, take out shoot game, put them up do it again next year.
I think my practice time everyday was my Zen time, it kept me focused and sane I think. Sure miss it, I have found nothing to replace it.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Not bedazzled by every new cartridge that comes out like I was in my younger days, but the 6mm ARC seems like a dandy. Would like to hear about your experiences with it if you get there.
Or anyone else's for that matter.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven’t lost the interest, I have lost the ability to go shooting matches and plinking due to the wife’s Alzheimer’s and not being able to leave her alone for more than a quick run to the pharmacy or grocery store

Same for me

Lingering Fauci biohazard problems slowed me way down, though I have bought some good deals. Grandkids enjoy them and will get them.
Wif's cancer treatments changed our entire life changed. Not worse or better, just changed.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy sold his 800 acres and I slowed way down on shooting.

Components are high but I have plenty of that and just need more time I suppose.
And it is nice if a friend likes to go shooting with you.
I DO NOT want another weapon to tailor a load for.

I am always relieved when I see someone get a weapon here for cheap before I give in and go get it.

I have often thought I do not need all these rifles etc and then convince myself they all ate needed.

I have given some away for free to relatives and friends when they show real interest in one.
That removes some reloading from my chores.

For heavy kicking rifles i have developed some very fun cast loads (.308, 30-06 )

I have a crazy fun load for .308 that you can sit in a chair and reload at the range and the brass
DOES NOT need resized.
It is for close range critter killing under 60 yards.
The bullet hitting the target is louder than the suppressed round.

You can sit in a backyard and shoot it all day long.
Almost No recoil either. About the same as a Red Rider bb gun

Latest posts

Top Bottom