Help finding defense handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grandfather in law wants help finding a handgun. He is around 80 and pretty frail. He has a very tight budget wanting something for a few hundred as in $200 maybe a lil more. I'm thinking revolver just due to his strength and prob something in 38 or possibly 22. I don't think he could handle a semi pistol or anything more than a 38 in even a medium size revo.

What's out there??

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he is not going to carry and use it for home defense only, you might look for a used S&W Model 10, a good functioning one can probably be found for not much more than that.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It'll run a bit more but what about the Ruger LCR in .22? Believe you may even be able to get a magnum which would put out more oomph than a long rifle, but less than a .38.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he is going to go .22, get a semi auto Browning or Ruger with a 10 round mag vs 6 in most revo's, unless he gets one of the S&W 10 round revo's but they are above his budget.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he is going to go .22, get a semi auto Browning or Ruger with a 10 round mag vs 6 in most revo's, unless he gets one of the S&W 10 round revo's but they are above his budget.

I don't think he could load the mags or rack the slide. I think revo all the way, guess just need to find the right deal.

Not to carry at all, will be strictly for in home use.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rack the slide for him, and he gets 11 shots when the mag gets topped off. Keep it in the house in condition 1.
Some of those 1400fps hot rod rounds will do some penetration. Not a gun in my house or in the safe that is not loaded to the max.

Get one of these Majestic Arms slide racker assists. I use one on my steel challenge gun. They reduce the amount of pull to rack the slide to almost nothing. Can easily be used one handed against a counter top, recliner arm, etc.

http://www.majesticarms.com/id23.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom