Help finding defense handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F16mickey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly for a house gun the Ruger 10-22 would be good, especially equipped with a couple of 25 round mags.
The double action pull on most revolvers are going to be tough to work for people with arthritis.
22 revolvers are worse than the center fire siblings due to heavier springs needed for rim fire reliability.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would flat out tell him the 200 bucks isnt enough money to get him an effective self defense weapon that also works within his capabilities. Then I would find a way to come up with the difference to pay for the right choice, not the convenient choice.

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I second the 10/22 idea. It's in his price range and although it's not a pistol, It's still pretty compact. Back when I had more guns than I knew what to do with, pre first marriage, I had several handguns to choose from, I used a 4" bull barreled 22/45 for HD. B/c I knew I could put all 10 shots in a mofo's cornea with that thing.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being an older gentleman, there are a range of issues that make his selection different from what our ideal selection would be. He needs something that he can handle, operate and is reliable. Typical "stopping power" calibers generates problems for the user and is compounded by cost. I think a .22LR or a .22mag is the answer. Accuracy and fast follow up will be in his benefit. Moreover, he will be able to practice without spending too much on ammo or becoming uncomfortable. If it is in his home, a rifle makes sense. If he is set on a pistol, what about a Ruger Charger? All the capacity of a 10-22 in a pistol package? I would put a Bushnell red dot on it and he would be set.
Here is one for $218 plus shipping/transfer.
http://www.southernshootersgunsandg...harger-22lr-10-15rd-sa-mblk-black-polymer-39#

I'm in Yukon, if finding ammo is an issue, holler. He can have some of my .22LR.

Latest posts

Top Bottom