Help me pick a revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Should I try to make you jealous? This is my recently-acquired S&W Model 27. 5" barrel, 1968 German proof marks and no import stamp. Sweet shooter!!!

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
S&W 4" 629 (no dash). Tuned and ported by Larry Kelly. It was a gift otherwise I doubt that I would have had it ported.
SW 629.jpg

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
...I have no idea about their flexibility.
There is wiggle room in Cabelas Gun Library pricing. I purchased a rifle from them for less than originally listed and had it shipped to local FFL. It was not as perfect as described and they compensated me with a generous gift card as well.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
whatever you do,DONT BUY A SMITH WITH A LOCK FOR INVESTMENT. That being said, there will be exceptions, but not worth the guarantee of older guns going up in value. he also reminded me of the 25-5 and the 48-4 and the 17-4 that i got rid of. picture me kicking my own arse!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your looking for an investment piece, get one of the S&W K22 masterpiece models. You will never find a better trigger. Scary how smooth and easy it breaks.

Last edited:

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd go with a pre-internal lock S&W K-frame, but I'd bypass the magnums like the Model 19 and 66 and try to find a nice Model 15 or 67, the equivalent guns in .38 Special+P. S&W also called the 15 the "Combat Masterpiece." :cool:

Smith & Wesson Model 15 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reason: If the gun's rated for .357 Magnum, there's more risk that the prior owner(s) shot it a lot with magnums, which will shoot a K-frame loose -- I've seen it.

Then I would get a reloading setup for .38 Special and shoot the ever living crap out of that revolver. Once you have a few thousand rounds downrange you may start to notice you can do things with it -- even in double action -- that you would struggle to do with most semi-autos.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very few guns will appreciate and a python is one of them. I really like detectives and they do ok. No gun will hold its value and I'd stay away from high end custom guns like those worked on by gemtec if you don't want it to depreciate. Yes they are pretty and work quite well but if someone wants a customized gun they will do it them selves. Go with a nice smith 686 or something along those lines. They won't appreciate but the most you'd be out is 100-200 on resale if you wanted to sell it. Make sure is under 4 inches though.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To me the "sex on a stick" revolvers are the S&W pinned and recessed versions. Choosing which model in which configuration, now that's a whole other thing.

I once owned a nickel 19-4 that was just too nice for me because I was afraid to use it in fear of scratching it up, but if I was into collectors I definitely would have kept that one.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160331_9abff8140ebbfe9ff344c8ff3ba9b7f0.jpg
Pure beauty, would love to have another...

Latest posts

Top Bottom