Help on suppressors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Completely lost on suppressors. I am wanting to get interchangable suppressors on my AR/AK as well as all three of my 9mm. Replacing the barrels with threaded.
I know nothing other than I like shooting with them. Nice not having ear protection and bothering anyone within ear shot.
I will take any suggestions because I'm starting at zero.
Keep in mind I'm tight as a tick but want quality not flash.
Thanks ahead of time.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are many quality suppressor companies out there, though quiet quality costs quite a bit.

Not sure how you can interchange 556AR to 762AK to 9mm though... Aside purchasing multiple cans, you could buy yourself a 9mm can and shoot it across all three platforms, but you'll never get the desired effect on those long guns.

Instead, if you're on the cheap and across different platforms, get yourself an oil filter can adapter. One stamp, one price, new suppressors can be picked up at walmart.
It looks incredibly stupid, but it works on the cheap.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
DO NOT GET A 9MM CAN AND TRY TO SHOOT RIFLE ROUNDS THOUGH IT!!!

You'll need a 30 caliber rifle suppressor for the AR and AK.
Not sure if you're just shooting 9mm pistol or a PCC as well, but pistol suppressors use a Neilson devise to properly cycle the slide, but if shooting a PCC like an MP5 or AR9mm, you need a 9mm suppressor without the Neilson devise.

Getting an oil filter adaptor is fine if you never want to be able to use your sights and just want that inferior product.

No matter what you decide, DO NOT TRY TO SHOOT RIFLE ROUNDS THROUGH A PISTOL SUPPRESSOR!! that's a real good way to get yourself or someone else injured. Pistol suppressors are not rated for rifle rounds.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Rugged suppressors has some nice options out there that can be disassembled for cleaning, and can also go from the regular longer length to a K (short) configuration.

For the rifle:
Rugged suppressors surge 7.62
https://ruggedsuppressors.com/product/surge-762/

For the pistol:
Rugged suppressors obsidian 45
https://ruggedsuppressors.com/product/obsidian-45/

I say the obsidian 45, because it has different front caps like 9mm, that will get you a little better sound when shooting 9mm, but can be put back to the original cap for shooting 40 and 45 through it.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both of the two previous posters have given you some good and some bad info.

The oil filter adapter is f*cking stupid.
Most center-fired pistol caliber cans are rated for subsonic 300blk, which we know to be a rifle caliber.
You don't need multiple cans to do what you want.

There is one, do-all suppressor that would fit your needs, called the SilencerCo Hybrid ($999 MSRP), which works on rifle and pistol calniers from 5.56 to .458 SOCOM.
https://silencerco.com/silencers/hybrid/

Parts included are:
5/8x24 direct thread mount (7.62x51/.300blk)
Piston housing
.46 front cap

In addition to the suppressor you would also need:
1/2x28 direct thread mount (5.56/9mm fixed barrel) - $129
1/2x28 piston/spring (9mm for handgun) - $85
5.56 front cap - $92
7.62 front cap - $92
9mm front cap - $92
Some sort of rethread or adapter depending on thread pattern of your AK.

All accessory prices are MSRP and can be bought at 25% off during SiCo's Black Friday sale (you'll still be waiting next Thanksgiving so not a big deal) for $367.50 total. In addition, you would not need all of the endcaps for it to function but it will effect the level of suppression using the provided .46 front cap with .223 projectile. The 9mm end cap would be the first I'd buy to tighten up the opening a bit and still be able to run the calibers you suggested.

I'd personally go with a dedicated rifle can in 7.62 and a dedicated pistol can in 9mm (since I have zero need for a different caliber). I own a SiCo Octane 9 and Osprey 9 and have a few other micro 9mm cans pending but I have plans to pick up an Omega 9k in the next few months along with a Saker 762 or similar.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I getting separate suppressors for the rifles and 9mm handguns. Would like all the 9mm to fit with one can. Not sure with the 7.62x39 and 5.56/223 being interchangeable. Going to add a 308 bolt action to the mix too.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buy a good 308 can and you can shoot everything from 22lr to 300 win mag. You just need adapters for the different thread sizes which you loctite onto each barrel.
If your real tight you could go with a Griffin Armament Optimus which handles most rifles and pistols up to 9mm bore size or a Silencerco Hybrid 46 which handle everything up to 45-70.
Just google Hybrid suppressors. they are kind of heavy though.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I getting separate suppressors for the rifles and 9mm handguns. Would like all the 9mm to fit with one can. Not sure with the 7.62x39 and 5.56/223 being interchangeable. Going to add a 308 bolt action to the mix too.

With regard to 9mm. It will work on all of your 9mm. The thing you want to insure is that you have the same thread pitch on all of your barrels, that way you don't have to buy carry and swap multiple pistons or adapters. If you can standardize your barrels to have the same pitch you will save yourself a lot of money time and haste.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
... pistol suppressors use a Neilson devise to properly cycle the slide, but if shooting a PCC like an MP5 or AR9mm, you need a 9mm suppressor without the Neilson devise.
While the Nielson device is required for semi-auto pistols that use a tilting barrel, it's not used for those with fixed barrels. This is why some suppressors either come with or have available a fixed barrel spacer. Some also are rated for a wide range of both pistol and rifle calibers, often with the rifle caliber requiring a minimum barrel length. The Liberty Mystic X is one example.

Latest posts

Top Bottom