Help removing tint from rear window with defrost.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tinted windows years ago, but never removed it from windows with a defroster. I bought a car from my Grandpa a while back and the tint was bad. He had pulled the tint off, but it left all of the glue. I need to remove it, but without scraping off the defrost lines.
Anyone know the best way to do this? Thanks

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We just removed the tint from my mothers car using a steam cleaner. just heated up a small area at a time and peeled the tint off, this wasn't a fast process, but it seemed to work)

(not 100% sure the defrosters still work though :-))

RonBurgundy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spray adhesive down with 409. Cut a black garbage bag to the shape of the window and place inside the window. Sit the car out in the sun for a couple hours. Use steel wool and soapy water to scrub the adhesive off.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Use windex with ammonia. Most window tint even says not use ammonia to clean it because it breaks down the film and the adhesive causing it to turn purple. I've removed lots of tint with just plain old windex and paper towels.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ammonia will cut the glue. It takes lots of elbow grease but works. You can use 0000 steel wool to hep on areas in-between defroster lines.

ssx2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have a few options as already declared. Personally I've done all of the above and it comes down to how much time you want to spend cramped up in the back seat. The only method missing here is the fastest, but it is also the most dangerous to your body. If you are game. Go buy a spray can of Chem-tool B12 at any auto supplier, grab some rubber gloves, put them on, spray some on a rag and wipe. The glue will come right off. All thats left is to clean it with some windex and newspaper. Voila, good as new.

Latest posts

Top Bottom