HOW do you plan TO COOK when the SHTF?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arin Morris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to be able to find cast iron at the thrift stores all the time ...

Have to be careful though pickup up cast iron when you don't know what it was used for. I found one at a thrift store that had the word, "LEAD" scratched into it. Don't want to cook with that. My father has also used small cast iron skillets to melt lead in to make weights. Just have to be careful with cast iron in the wild.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the two of these below. The stove is amazing, as long as you have fuel cans. When you run out of those, campfire works well. The cook set is pretty neat. It has multiple sizes of cookware as well as 4 plates and 4 bowls/cups. The storage bag doubles as a water carrier/sink. They both pack inside one another and store fairly small. The only draw back on the cookware is you can't cook with the lids on, they'll melt.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/bugaboo_camper

http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/zip-cooking-system.html

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have to be careful though pickup up cast iron when you don't know what it was used for. I found one at a thrift store that had the word, "LEAD" scratched into it. Don't want to cook with that. My father has also used small cast iron skillets to melt lead in to make weights. Just have to be careful with cast iron in the wild.

While that's true, I've never seen cast iron that was used to melt lead that had any food residue or grease on it ... But your point is taken and it is a valid one ...

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I DON'T have is a way to grind flour. I've got raw wheat and grains, but no way to turn them into flour/meal. I've spent hours looking for an inexpensive grinder, but they regularly fail to impress most users and they generate bad reviews. There are some good (affordable) coffee grinders out there, but they won't make fine flour. The good grinders are way to expensive for me.

I'm still trying to figure this out.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I DON'T have is a way to grind flour. I've got raw wheat and grains, but no way to turn them into flour/meal. I've spent hours looking for an inexpensive grinder, but they regularly fail to impress most users and they generate bad reviews. There are some good (affordable) coffee grinders out there, but they won't make fine flour. The good grinders are way to expensive for me.

I'm still trying to figure this out.

I have this mill http://beprepared.com/victorio-hand-grain-mill.html and yes it doesn't work to make fine bread flour but I like to make my own cream of wheat and this works great for that. I suppose you could just keep running it through or grind it with a mortar and pestle for ultra fine flower because the ones that make ultra fine powder are bank breakers LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom