HOW do you plan TO COOK when the SHTF?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakota Safe

Marksman
Reaction score
I personally can't get my hands on enough cast iron, everything, and own a wood burning stove along with plans on building a "rocket" stove and brick oven. All on a shoe string budget.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Dakota Safe

Marksman
Reaction score
It's been around for awhile, but there is a book that was written by a lady that cooked over an open fire with paper sacks. She made an appearance on one of the late night shows. Boiled water, made soups, etc.
never forgot it.

Edit: just googled cooking in a paper bag. Lots of info out there.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dlg7Rd8sHL0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Ddlg7Rd8sHL0&autoplay=1

I like the idea and resourcefulness of this. That would be handy for a lot of people who were bugging out or trying to make due in the cities. But at some point paper sacks run out, then what?

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've got plans to build a big wood burning stove out of a 55 gallon drum. I have a small backpacking wood stove (solo stove) and a nice snow peak titanium cook set. It all packs together like a Russian nesting doll and weighs about 12 ounces.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Short term I always keep two extra propane tanks (on top of the in-use one) with adapters for my Coleman camping stove and the grill. Longer term I have a cooking grate that fits in my fireplace/outside firepit. Longer term than that, I'll just have to see what happens.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Short term I always keep two extra propane tanks (on top of the in-use one) with adapters for my Coleman camping stove and the grill. Longer term I have a cooking grate that fits in my fireplace/outside firepit. Longer term than that, I'll just have to see what happens.

I lean this way also. The Coleman camping stove is perfect for the two of us, especially if we are using FD/DH stuff that just needs water and a little heat ... We have a Volcano that we can use propane, charcoal or wood in. Each fuel source has it's own little quirks ... The fireplace is a viable option in cooler weather, otherwise it's outside on the grill ... or a firepit ... Kelly kettles and rocket stoves are great if I don't want to cook a whole Thanksgiving meal. I'm wanting to get a turkey fryer so I can do my canning outside ... It just seems silly to fire up the A/C in the house and then turn the stove up on high to can ... :anyone: That could be another option, too ...

I used to be able to find cast iron at the thrift stores all the time ... Not so much anymore ... :( I think there are a LOT more people "into" prepping now than a few years ago ... Jeez, thanks NatGeo ... :rolleyes2 (Like everything in life, it's a double-edged sword ...)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the idea and resourcefulness of this. That would be handy for a lot of people who were bugging out or trying to make due in the cities. But at some point paper sacks run out, then what?

I grew up, and still occasionally cook over an open fire with no utensils, or anything that can't be obtained from the woods.
My kids on camping trips got the honors to turn the chickens or pork butt over a rotisserie built of green wood above the fire.
In the Boy Scouts(when they still taught these skills) we trapped rabbit, and other small game, and cooked them the same way. You don't need utensils to cook.

As a disclaimer, I now use a rotisserie over our propane cooker, until the city bred grandkids come up for the weekend from Tx. They think its fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom