HOW do you plan TO COOK when the SHTF?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 400 pounds of charcoal. I keep buying the 2x20lbs. from Home Depot around the 4th and add to the collection! That and 4 extra propane bottles. After that, wood which is what everyone will have to turn to barring fossil fuels being available.

Dakota Safe

Marksman
Reaction score
What do you guys think about people with wood pellet stoves/grills? Does that even make any sense?
Also, I believe the Rocket Stoves are going to be worth their weight in gold. Those things can run on all the scraps left over from trimming/cutting trees down for firewood. Enough litter falls from the trees each year to power a small on indefinately.

Dakota Safe

Marksman
Reaction score
What I DON'T have is a way to grind flour. I've got raw wheat and grains, but no way to turn them into flour/meal. I've spent hours looking for an inexpensive grinder, but they regularly fail to impress most users and they generate bad reviews. There are some good (affordable) coffee grinders out there, but they won't make fine flour. The good grinders are way to expensive for me.

I'm still trying to figure this out.

This type of grinder works just fine for what you are wanting. When the SHTF you won't care about how "fine" your flour is.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XXL-Grain-Corn-Cereal-Mill-Grinder-Flour-Wheat-Nut-Herb-/400229281644?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item5d2f862f6c
Also, if you are creative. You could build a grinding mill by using an old bike and a couple granite wheels. You can get scrap granite at any granite counter top company. There is one down in Glenpool called Eurocraft that has piles of "scrap" granite you can pick up cheap and have them cut you some grinding wheels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIH5hAEfK3I

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its called a Mortal and pedestal.

Grist mills, etc.
I can take you to lots of low water dams that used water power for making flour, and they aren't that far away.

Native Americans use them to make flour. Not a lot of volume, but it does the job.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ive got an MSR multi fuel stove, cast aluminum griddle, medium fry pan and a couple of pots with lids. Thats kinda my bug out mess kit.

Also got a wood stove and a few coleman stoves and a grill or 2. Have a xmas tree adapter for propane. So I can use small disposable ot lg tanks. Also got adapter to fill dispodable bottles from lg tanks.

Im really thinkin bout ditchin the fry pan n pots and using a small/medium wok....if I can find one with a lid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom