How many of you old cranks remember?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, there wasn't a McDonald's in Chandler back in the '60s (we weren't that classy). But there was a Sonic right there on 66 Highway at the Highway 18 intersection. I can still remember going there for REAL cherry limeades made by hand, and chili-Frito pies served in the bag.

Eventually, a Spilt-T came to town, and it pretty much put Sonic out of business.

The old Sonic building is still there if you ever drive through Chandler.

capnkirk462

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a mom-n-pop burger joint called Pak-A-Sak in Enid for many years. When I was a kid, they had hamburgers 7 for $1. We very seldom got fast food but, when we did, that was usually it.
I miss Pak-a-Sak. Lotta burger and Lenox Drive In are still open. Haven't been back to Enid in awhile. Last time I went ate at Lotta Burger and it was still great.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_9526.jpeg

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a Sonic, but I never knew about it, until I got a Driver License. Then Sonic became a regular stop, for me.

Had seen commercials for McD for years, before one finally came to town, around '75, iirc. First month they were open, the parking was lot full and lines blocked the road, waiting to get in. After 2 months, business was brisk, but getting to a more normal pace. Decided to check them out. NEVER entered that dog food joint, again. In the past 50 years, I have been in 4 seperate McCrap locations. Each, only once. Each time, I wasn't driving.

Sonic, like every other fast food place, has gone down hill through the years, cutting quality to cut cost.

When my kids were teenagers, we had a Sonic 2 blocks from home. All 3 worked there. I never knew, thought or participated in tipping of car hops. I got in the habit of tipping, when my order arrived, hot, fast, correct and car hop friendly.
The Sonic, here, I never tip. The order is rarely correct, the fries hot, fresh, and the carrots ask if you want your change or just try and keep it, without asking. Homey don't play that crap.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I miss Pak-a-Sak. Lotta burger and Lenox Drive In are still open. Haven't been back to Enid in awhile. Last time I went ate at Lotta Burger and it was still great.

Yep. Lotta Burger is still open, and it's still great. AFAIK, Lenox is still open. However, it changed ownership and I'm told it really went downhill. I haven't eaten there in a long time. Last I heard, they were really struggling.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a mom-n-pop burger joint called Pak-A-Sak in Enid for many years. When I was a kid, they had hamburgers 7 for $1. We very seldom got fast food but, when we did, that was usually it.

Lotta burger is still good wife and I ate there couple weeks ago.
What I miss is Pak an Sack in Enid.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I miss those metal trays when in high school they were quite popular to take with you for reasons. Shame Sonic isn't the quality it used to be . When they went big corporate their quality went to **** . It makes me said you have to now tell them what a No 1, No 2 and No 3 as it was part of their menu forever when you ordered a burger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom