How was your Black powder hunt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I enjoyed mine. Killed my first buck with a muzzleloader and saw deer most everytime. Most of the movement was at last light due to the moon. I did see one decent buck cruising about 3:30 one afternoon. Ill be out friday and saturday but gonna use my crossbow since I cant kill a buck with my muzzleloader. Still got one buck tag left and saw two monsters a week ago...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunted the first 4 days pretty solid. I like to get into the stand at least an hour before legal shooting light. The moon would go below the horizon about that time, but it was still fairly bright. Just to my north is a no-till wheat field full of stubble and new growth that they are feeding in. Pretty easy to spot the contrasting colors of the deer and stubble. They were moving out of the field while it was still dark.
Later about 0900, I'd start to see them moving around a little, then they would settle in and not move until late evening. Walking out in the dark through the CRP grass with my green LED headlamp, I'd see lots of eyes looking back at me from the distance. Saw several nice bucks and tons of does, but none were shot. I won't get to hunt BP any more this season, so it will be back to bow.

Hog Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw five bucks last Sat. evening, my cousin has hunted every day this week but the deer have slowed down. I think the warm temps and death makes them move more at night. Another guy on the lease killed a medium sized eight point Tues. His brother saw some does and a couple of spikes.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
been taking my 2 young boys 13 and 15 on weekends and i have been bow hunting some.hav'nt seen much except a few does right at dark the second evening by 15 yr old had a good buck at 50 yrds he said it was to dark to shoot sure was proud of him for that,sure wish these last 2 days would be cooler but we will be after them and injoying every min of it

jhunt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took a button buck (thinking it was a doe) saturday night for my first bp harvest and then a doe monday night for my first doe harvest at kaw lake.

Latest posts

Top Bottom