how'd everyone do yesterday?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice buck Stew and good job on following up after the shot!!

Deer seemed to just not want to cooperate with me this year for MZ season. Only shots I had were at a 6pt and 7pt that were very young.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
10 mles west of Carmen.

that puts you at the north end of the glass mountains.lots of nice deer up there. a buddy of mine has land between carman and aline.he's taken a couple of really nice bucks.i've seen a few out there,just have not gotten to take one yet.i'll probably hunt there the second weekend of rifle.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Still with the flu bug thing going on, but on the down side of it, I decided that If I'm just going to sit in a recliner with stupid tv programs on, I'd just as soon be sitting in a tree stand reading a good book. Picked up a James Patterson novel, and headed out.
Got out a little late with the sun creeping up on the horizon, but didn't figure that to be much of a problem with a full moon. They normally feed all night in a full moon phase, and lay up in the morning, so I had my food medicine, and drink, and was determined to stay up in the stand for however long it took.

Didn't see anything until about 10am when a group of does coming down the CRP tree line bolted across the wheat field adjacent to the CRP for no reason? They cut off way beyond my range. After they went into the woods, I saw a dandy 10 point, nose down, following the scent trail. He disappeared in the same place as the does.

Around 1000hrs a doe with two fawns briskly walked the the woods. I waited and finally found a shot into the hole in the brush. She reared up on her hind legs and stood there for a second or two and then went down on her chest and scooted off into an area that I could't see. (Thought I might sit there for awhile to make sure for a good hit, and not push her.)

In the mean time, that 2 1/2 yr old 10 point that will be really good in a couple of years, tried to cut a doe out somewhere out of my sight, and she ran with him in tow to about 60yds in front of me. So I shot her.

He just stood there and looked at me ;D

She ran about 10yds, and expired.

Now I had my work cut out, and I field dressed two does, got them into our DMAP check station. One was 100 lb even, and the other was 102lbs.

Delivered them to the processor for the people on our list.

Decided to go out to a new stand in the evening, and had a doe walk out of the sunflower patch. She was really hesitant to do anything as she kept looking at me, and forced me to turn 180 degrees in the stand as she kept moving. It was slo -mo all the way, but finally got turned around in the stand, and when she put her head down to eat, it was all history. For one exception...She died in the middle of a creek. After the shot she ran to the creek, and I never saw her come up the other side. I got down from the stand, and tried to figure the next thing to do, as the banks are 90 degrees straight up and down. Finally got her out, with ropes on the three wheeler, jerking and so on until the body came up over the bank. The pic is after I had my pants off, waded out and got her to the bank so she wouldn't drift off before getting the 3 wheeler to get her out.

So, the total for the day is 3 does.

1000hrs
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_Photo0034.jpg

The next one at 1100hrs:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_Photo0033.jpg

this is the doe on the evening hunt. She weighed 120 lbs.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010040.jpg

stewball

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great trophy buck Stewball!:D Thats one for the wall.

Thanks, looks like you've got a lot of good eating deer chops. I will probably harvest several does at the end of the season. Deer hunting is an odd endeavor, you can sit on a stand forever and never see a thing or a hundred deer. They just come out of nowhere and in the case of my buck, all of a sudden after hours of waiting you're faced with tremendous rush of adrenalin and having to do everything right in short order.

If that intense "buck fever" high ever goes away, one might as well quit hunting. I hope you bag a big one this season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom