how'd everyone do yesterday?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
NICE DEER! still only heard a couple of distant shots this evening.i'm northeast of crescent near skeleton creek.always lots of deer and lots of shooting.whats up? is the weather,the moon or the taco bell i had for lunch.guess i'll try again tomorrow......

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My bud shot that big deer at 10 in the morning. He was about to get down and was messing with a bolt on his stand and had his rifle hanging on a limb when he looked up and saw it coming in. He was lucky he got into position before it bolted. It's neck was sure swollen and hocks were dark. Looks like the rut is coming on. Maybe you need to stay in the stand all day.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lucky him and lucky me. That deer looked really similar to one we have running on our place. Dad saw him again this morning. He should be pretty good next year..... JK hopefully he gets a little closer for the smoke pole or my bow.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
alright i can quit whining now.finally got some meat.shot a coyote around 9 out of boredom.he flopped around then ran down into the creek.i waited a few minutes and went to look for him.spooked up a deer that ran up and out to the edge of the timber.look through the scope and all i can see id the back half of the body and the face looking at me.nice big deer, maybe the boss doe.so i put the crosshairs on the forehead and pulled the trigger.deer drops in its tracks.i walk over and "son of a bi#$h.its a buck with both antlers broke all the way off.the right side is at the hairline and the left is about an inch high.i don't feel so bad though.it was 144 pounds.so at least a two and maybe a three year old.i'll post a pic later.
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/dlbleak/th_PB010289.jpg
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/dlbleak/PB010289.jpg?t=1257168591

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
beautiful deer stewball! tell us about where and how.the stories are the best only because some of the best hunting days never involve pulling the trigger.when you get to harvest an animal,its just a bonus to being out there.

stewball

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He was originally about 160 yards from me & my buddy. We were hunting in a "condo" blind overlooking a winter pea field we planted earlier. He would not hold still and I thought he was going to disappear into the woods at the edge of the field. He was broadside at about 200 yards and I just did not want to shoot at that distance, but a doe relieved hereself closer to us and he came running in towards the blind. He turned broadside at about 125 yards and I took the shot. He took off, tail up high and I thought I had missed. I told my buddy we needed to check for blood and follow up the shot. We had about 10 minutes of light left and low and behold we found him about 75 yards in the woods, shot through the lungs. I was very, very lucky to have found him. I was using a Knight Long Range Hunter 50 caliber, with 110 grains of Longhorn 209 powder with a 295 grain Powerbelt bullet. I'm attaching a pic of the deer my buddy shot last Sunday evening (the same deer I missed on Saturday evening). It weighed 140 lbs dressed, he shot it with a TC Encore. We had a blast, in three weeks we'll be back for rifle season. There is a monster on this place he saw before archery, we would love to get him. I hope everyone else has as great a hunt as I had this weekend.

Stew

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom