how'd everyone do yesterday?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got to hunt about an hour today after work; got busted by a doe when I walked in about 6pm, figured I would sit where I seen her and see if she came back. About 630 something caught my attention to my left, which turned out to be a pair of bobcats about 100 yards away in a brush pile. While I was checking them out (and thinking about calling them in a few months), I looked back to my right and here comes another doe in about 100 yards out. Instead of sticking to the treeline, she headed right toward me, ending up about 20 yards directly behind me. I couldn't get turned to shoot before she smelled/seen me and hauled tail. Good evening though just getting a deer that close, and getting to watch a curious cat check me out that long.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I took vacation so I could hunt all week. I think I screwed myself. I haven't seen any deer moving since Sunday.
What's this storm front gonna do for the hunting?

i don't know,but i think i'll be on the stand early afternoon friday.thinking they'll feed when it clears up.with all the non-movement,the suckers gotta eat sometime!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i don't know,but i think i'll be on the stand early afternoon friday.thinking they'll feed when it clears up.with all the non-movement,the suckers gotta eat sometime!

I have to agree with you, at least in my area. For some strange reason the deer are much more spooky and nocturnal that in many years past. With rut coming up, and they go into lock-down stage. its going to be tough to see a deer period.
Gotta be global warming:cry3:

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well we thought we would out smart them and come in through the back. Be in the stands before they came through.

Ended up walking right through them. Saw several as they bolted from us.

Not a wise move.

I think I need to move stands on the very edge of their bedding range and not walk through it. It is a lot farther away from the corn field but once I enter the bedding area they know I am there.

Does anyone drive their truck up to their stand in the dark vs. walking in on two legs? I know during the day the truck does not scare them away.

Does anyone have any luck using pop-up tents?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Well we thought we would out smart them and come in through the back. Be in the stands before they came through.

Ended up walking right through them. Saw several as they bolted from us.

Not a wise move.

I think I need to move stands on the very edge of their bedding range and not walk through it. It is a lot farther away from the corn field but once I enter the bedding area they know I am there.

Does anyone drive their truck up to their stand in the dark vs. walking in on two legs? I know during the day the truck does not scare them away.

Does anyone have any luck using pop-up tents?

on my place it seems that when i bump a bedding area they don't return or wait a long time.i've had some luck with pop-ups along fence lines between bed areas and food. they don't seem to be alarmed at the tent.they seem more curious than anything and will sometime come closer to investigate.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have three of the pop-ups and have had good sucess with them as long as the winds is right. Sometimes a tall ladder stand will keep your scent high and allow it to drift over a deer.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
decided I would go out in the rain and hunt at noon and by 12:28 I got this guy he ran about 20 yards and went face first into a little creek. I didn't have time to hit him with the rangefinder but after the shot the approximate area was 108 yards. The hornady fpb turned his lungs into jelly exit wound was about 1.25" dressed he weighed 116 pounds.
ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc142_Jon3830_10_29_09_1248.jpg

ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc142_Jon3830_DSC_0012.jpg

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HOLY BEJESUS!!! He has rib bones comming out of his head. :w000t:
Just harping on you, fine deer. Bigger than anything i have seen this week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom