Hunting rifle ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tracking skills maybe, but most of these guys are more of the shooter type rather than hunters. I've never lost a deer myself, but I can tell you that I hunt trophy animals that will dress out close to or over 200 lbs. I can't imagine "risking" a shot on a giant with a 55 or 62 grain pill. I have to crack a smile when someone brings up "Oklahoma Whitetails" like ours are weaker or exceedingly smaller than whitetails in other states.

Ever compared weights on average in other states? Up North 300 pound whitetails are common. You don't see that in Texas. Hell, a legit 300 pound whitetail in Oklahoma is not the norm. If it is, share your carcass tags.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-tailed_deer

Massasauga

Marksman
Reaction score

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wiki is definitely a reliable source of information. Not all Whitetails up north weigh 300 lbs.

I am on my phone and wasn't hunting all the data necessary to prove that white tailed deer in Canada consistently weigh more than white tailed deer in south Texas and Mexico. Of course not all northern deer weigh 300 pounds, just like deer here have to reach maturity before they attain the heavy weight. However, the average weight of mature deer here is less than the average mature deer up north.

To everybody else, yes the .308 AR rifle and M1A would be great, however since the OP said money only allowed 1 gun purchase, I didn't suspect he wanted to spend a small fortune on a rifle and then not be able to buy an optic.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have two Ruger rifle's, one is an RSI#1 in 7X57mm Mauser, and the other is an older red pad tang safety 77 also in 7X57mm Mauser. Both have long throats which means that I have to load 175gr or heavier bullets, but they get the job done. I'm not saying its the gun for you, its just works for me.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is called Bergmann's Rule.
Its science...
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Bergmann's_rule

As for a gun in Oklahoma, I have become a big fan of the quarterbores. I think the 25-06 is nearly the perfect cartridge for Oklahoma. It can easily take deer, coyotes and hogs and is easy on the shoulder for lots of practice.
Yeah but he doesn't believe in science. He only hunts trophy animals.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm one that will tell ya to go get a 270. Ruger American in a bolt gun. $325.00 OTD for a brand new gun, adjustable trigger. I put an old beat up off brand scope on mine and with 130 grain federals was getting 1 inch MOA @ 100. Gun weighs about 6.5 lbs as is handy and easy to carry. I can find 270 ammo almost anywhere. I like ARs and AKs and Mosins + SKS, they are fun to shoot and I shoot them quite alot, but if I'm going hunting, I take a rifle that is purpose built for such.

Latest posts

Top Bottom