I can't be that bad of a shot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where are you getting this info?

A .223 in the AR platform should not have much more than around 3 inches of change from 0-300yards. If 0 yards is 0 inches then it will be around 3 inches high at 100 yds. 50 and 200 yds will be about the same height. 25 and 300 yds will be about the same height. After 300 it starts dropping really fast.

He is using a 16x20 target at 75yds after zeroing at 25yds. He has other problems.

Maybe with a 100 yard zero. If zero yards is 0 inches, then your scope is in the barrel. If that was possible then the bullet would never be above 0" It would only fall from there. Remember, there are a lot of people reading these threads. Wouldn't want to give out any bad info. ;)

Play around with this calculator. http://www.handloads.com/calc/

DrBaker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe with a 100 yard zero. If zero yards is 0 inches, then your scope is in the barrel. If that was possible then the bullet would never be above 0" It would only fall from there. Remember, there are a lot of people reading these threads. Wouldn't want to give out any bad info. ;)

Play around with this calculator. http://www.handloads.com/calc/

Maybe we are not talking about the same thing.

What I'm saying is that, regardless of where you zero'd it, the bullet will only have approximately 3 inches of elevation change from 0-300yds. With this in mind, if the OP sighted in at 25yds before moving to 75yds on a 16x20 target, he should not be experiencing these problems.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

What I'm saying is that, regardless of where you zero'd it, the bullet will only have approximately 3 inches of elevation change from 0-300yds. With this in mind, if the OP sighted in at 25yds before moving to 75yds on a 16x20 target, he should not be experiencing these problems.

WRONG. Play with the calculator I posted and see.

DrBaker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The .223 will rise before it falls. It does not start at one height and go down.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are the ballistics with a 1 yard zero to 300 yards. Impact is in inches.

ai306.photobucket.com_albums_nn269_dustingaunder_Guns_20and_20Related_1YardZero.jpg

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The .223 will rise before it falls. It does not start at one height and go down.

Can you explain why this is? I can. The reason the bullet "rises" is because the line of site is higher than the bore. This doesn't help us hit what we want so ever so slightly we shoot the bullet up. This parabolic path causes the bullet to "rise". It is also the reason that you can not zero at 0 yards. At his 25 yard zero the bullet has traveled up about 2.5" which is pretty standard for the height of the line of sight over the bore. If it was zeroed with the line of site at the bore it would not ever in a million years rise above the line of site (put "0" in for sight height in the calculator). The shorter range you want to zero the more the bullet has to be shot upward. As shown with a zero at 1 yard, it has to go sky high to be able to cover that 2.5" vertically in 1 yard because of the velocity.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Hate to pile on but dustin is right, at least as far as to what the OP experienced. It's normal for 5.56 in an AR platform.

Practical experience and training has proven to me that, when zero'd at 25 meters, the round will impact 5-6 inches high at 100 yards. At 200 you are nearing 6-7 inches high....with M855 in an M4 of course. With an A2 you can be approaching 9 inches high at 200. those are estimates of course...I'm not a walking trajectory calculator.

It's eye opening the first time you step away from the 25 meter range and try to nail pop ups at 200....spotter yellin' "high" and I was thinking "WTF, I'm aiming center mass"?

visit this link and scroll waaay down to Trajectory...https://rdl.train.army.mil/soldierPortal/atia/adlsc/view/public/24979-1/FM/3-22.9/chap2.htm

After that I learned to aim low in between 75 and 250.

DrBaker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hate to pile on but dustin is right, at least as far as to what the OP experienced. It's normal for 5.56 in an AR platform.

Practical experience and training has proven to me that, when zero'd at 25 meters, the round will impact 5-6 inches high at 100 yards. At 200 you are nearing 6-7 inches high....with M855 in an M4 of course. With an A2 you can be approaching 9 inches high at 200. those are estimates of course...I'm not a walking ballistics calculator.

It's eye opening the first time you step away from the 25 meter range and try to nail pop ups at 200....spotter yellin' "high" and I was thinking "WTF, I'm aiming center mass"?

visit this link and scroll waaay down to Trajectory...https://rdl.train.army.mil/soldierPortal/atia/adlsc/view/public/24979-1/FM/3-22.9/chap2.htm

After that I learned to aim low in between 75 and 250.

It's okay to pile on. I've been wrong in the past and still survived. I prefer to be advised when a mistake is made so I can correct it going forward.

Obviously the only thing to do at this point is hit the range to increase the real world experience.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
amen...always good to experience something new. It was an eye opener for me after years of punching holes in paper at 25...with 'simulated' longer range targets (they made them smaller on the paper).

Latest posts

Top Bottom