I can't be that bad of a shot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Flight path of a 55gr. .223---0" at 0 yds. (duh), around .5" high at 50 yds., 0" at 100 yds. Then it starts dropping below the line of the bore.

You can't zero at 1 yd. If you trying to find the trajectory relative to the bore, punch 0 for sight height into your calculator.

Anyway, my guess is that the OP zeroed at closer than 25 yards. The closer the zero, the worse off the POI will be downrange.

0 won't work, It is impossible to have a sight height of zero unless you sight down the middle of the bore.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A 50/200 yard zero is about the best compromise for a .223 rifle. You'll be (approximately) plus or minus 2 inches from point of aim to like 250 yards, I think. Dead on at 50, and dead on at 200 again.

I was running this through DG's calculator while you were posting and the calculator gave the correct numbers. Looks like the problem is the high sight height and close zero causing the funky numbers.

If you lower the sight height or move the zero back a little things start looking normal again.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was running this through DG's calculator while you were posting and the calculator gave the correct numbers. Looks like the problem is the high sight height and close zero causing the funky numbers.

This is all I've been saying. It is much higher than he expected and higher than the 3" that DrBaker said.

I'm almost 100% certain that it isn't the scope. Like mmchambers said, he probably zeroed at less than 25 yards and may be shooting further than 75 yards causing him to be several inches high.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's also impossible to zero at 1 yard. I'm just saying...that's not how you find out how a .223 projectile flies.

DrBaker is correct concerning the trajectory of the .223. It is very flat. Inside of 100 yds it is so flat (.5") that it's negligible in this argument, seeing that he missed the target entirely having moved between 25 and 75 yards.

Try this one:

http://www.handloads.com/calc/

What are you saying? The trajectory is extremely flat? That is determined by the zero point of the rifle due to the sight height. If you zero the rifle at 15 yards it isn't going to be flat from 0 to 100 yards at all. Like spiff said if the zero is at 50/200 the trajectory is optimized for the velocity of the round. You guys are neglecting where the rifle is zeroed when you talk about the flatness of the trajectory.

How is is impossible to zero at 1 yard? All the bullet has to do is cross your line of site at 1 yard and you have a 1 yard zero. It may be useless to zero at 1 yard, but I wasn't suggesting that he do it. It was an example to show that it would vary more than 3" to 100 yards. It is impossible to zero at zero yards unless you shoot perfectly perpendicular to the earth.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're arguing the same point....range zeroed & sight height affects point of impact drastically. If you zero too close, you're gonna be way off when you go down range.

I was trying to say that bullet drop (rise in this case) is nearly negligible with .223 inside 100 yds.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the actual trajectory chart for the M4 and A2 using M855...(A2 set to 8/3+1). Key component to the whole discussion is the platform firing the round. Not sure what an extra 1.5 of barrel length does to it if you are using 16 vs. 14.5.

We've gotten into a bigger trajectory discussion...but the OPs original question was basically is it normal to be shooting high at 75 yards with a 25 yard zero...and the answer is absolutely Yes...up to 5 inches.

Attachments

• image064.jpg
    image064.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 150

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
It's also impossible to zero at 1 yard. I'm just saying...that's not how you find out how a .223 projectile flies.

DrBaker is correct concerning the trajectory of the .223. It is very flat. Inside of 100 yds it is so flat (.5") that it's negligible in this argument, seeing that he missed the target entirely having moved between 25 and 75 yards.

Try this one:

http://www.handloads.com/calc/

Only impossible with standard scope mounts on the AR. If you had an extremely low sight line from the bore axis, and a large amount of slope from front to rear sight, you could zero at 1 yard.

The trajectory of the .223 is very flat. But it will never rise with respect to the bore axis. Gravity only works one way. The only reason it seems to "rise" is that the bore is pointed up with respect to the sights to compensate for the drop.

My rough estimator in my head says 6" high without taking drop into account. 3" of difference between scope axis and bore axis to overcome from 0-25 yards, then the same pattern would lead to 6" high ( slope is 3" every 25 yards ) at 75 yards.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is is impossible to zero at 1 yard? All the bullet has to do is cross your line of site at 1 yard and you have a 1 yard zero.

Only impossible with standard scope mounts on the AR...

Again, calm down. I meant it in a practical sense...

The conclusion is that the OP did not zero at 25 yards (likely closer) or shot his target farther than 75.

//thread

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom