I Hate CitiBank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What a bunch of dorks!!!

In Nov 2011, we paid off our 30 year mortgage, 20 years early. Payments have always been electronic transfers, my bank to Citi. In November we made a payment equal to the remaining balance on our statement. In December we get another statement for the regular payment. After several calls, it seems there is still a balance to close the mortgage. We paid $151 plus an additional fee of $15 to close the account. In Mid December we received a letter stating we were $13.01 short on the close-out but, Citi had advanced us that amount and would we please send them reimbursement. We made the $13.01 payment through our bank and hoped we were through with Citi. Last week we received a check for the excess in our escrow account. TODAY, we get another bill for the $13.01. We call and now they are demanding that we send them copies of our bank statements, so that they can verify that we actually made the payments. I originally got the loan through a local bank but unfortunately the loans was sold three times in the 10 years. I would never have gone to Citi and will certainly never deal with them again (If I can ever get this closed). Borrower Beware! Citi SUCKS, and that is the nicest thing I can say about them.

Rant complete --- Thanks for your patience.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So now you're livin' in a home you've paid the mortgage on in full but don't have a deed and probably won't get one over pennies.

See a lawyer to get the deed to your home.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aside from the headaches with Citi, I commend you for paying of your mortgage. We are in the process of selling what we dont "need" and trying our best to get out of debt. Good job Sir.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What a bunch of dorks!!!

In Nov 2011, we paid off our 30 year mortgage, 20 years early. Payments have always been electronic transfers, my bank to Citi. In November we made a payment equal to the remaining balance on our statement. In December we get another statement for the regular payment. After several calls, it seems there is still a balance to close the mortgage. We paid $151 plus an additional fee of $15 to close the account. In Mid December we received a letter stating we were $13.01 short on the close-out but, Citi had advanced us that amount and would we please send them reimbursement. We made the $13.01 payment through our bank and hoped we were through with Citi. Last week we received a check for the excess in our escrow account. TODAY, we get another bill for the $13.01. We call and now they are demanding that we send them copies of our bank statements, so that they can verify that we actually made the payments. I originally got the loan through a local bank but unfortunately the loans was sold three times in the 10 years. I would never have gone to Citi and will certainly never deal with them again (If I can ever get this closed). Borrower Beware! Citi SUCKS, and that is the nicest thing I can say about them.

Rant complete --- Thanks for your patience.

Tell them to pound sand. Better yet, tell them that they will have to pay you a research fee, document fee, shipping & handling fee, which all add up to $179.01, payable via cashiers check. They can then have their answer in 4-6 weeks. :(

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are in the process of refi'ing our home right now. Wife is a Mortgage Loan Officer so she always is on the up with rates. We can take out current 30 year to a 15 year with no payment increase, or with a little extra we can do a 10 year and be done way early.

Congrats to you, it must be nice to be done with the loan.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You may have been better off inquiring what the payoff would be on a particular day in the coming week and sent that amount. The statement balance is not going to be the current payoff amount.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's such a joke. Congrats on paying off your note so quickly, we're trying to pay off early too. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. If it were me I think I'd request a payoff off amount for a future date, at least 2 weeks in advance & I'd see if I could get that amount in ink(email, fax, etc.) Then I'd send a copy of that document along with the check. Then if they do it again I'd at least be able to refer back to that note. I have seen stories like yours before & I don't envy you. When that day comes for me I think I'm going to overpay intentionally because if they hit me for one of those insignificant amounts at the end I know myself well enough to know that I will get HATEFUL and I will make so many phonecalls that they'll wish they never held my note.

Latest posts

Top Bottom