I think my fuel pump is going out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good morning.

Within the last couple of weeks, I've noticed my gas gauge in my 2004 Silverado has been reading incorrectly. It'll randomly point just about wherever it wants, sometimes going so far clockwise, that it points straight down.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is a sign of a fuel pump going out. I have not had any issues starting my truck or keeping it running/idling, but I know if this is my fuel pump, it's probably not long before this does start happening.

I'm not mechanically ignorant when it comes to electrics, suspension, brakes, and minor engine work/repair, but I know very little about fuel system components.

Can any mechanics or shooters in the know here confirm that it might be my FP? I know it's hard to say just based off of what info I've given. Without paying a mechanic $$/hr to look at my truck to confirm, is there any other way I can better tell it is my FP? I don't yet have all the tools required in my garage to drain and drop my fuel tank or lift the bed up off the frame to physically inspect this myself.

Anything I can do to buy some time? -- Any fuel system cleaners that might help out?

Any "honest", dependable mechanics around the Edmond area?

jnmacd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could not see any relation to the gas gauge and the fuel pump.

I would say this is a connection problem between the sensor and the gauge.
My BMW has been doing this for years. I just give the dash a good whack and it displays the correct reading.

Guns N' Cars

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a fuel sending unit, which is made into the fuel pump.

If your readings are all over the place, that's generally what it is.

It doesn't necessarily mean your fuel pump is going out, but it never hurts to be safe.

They're not necessarily cheap either, I believe Autozone has their brand for a little under $400 and the dealers I've seen up over $600.

I always recommend a dealer part over a partshouse, but depends on your budget.

Yeah Autozone, Oreilly, and Napa all give you multi-year warranties, if not lifetime, but how many times do you want to change it out?

Just a former technicians opinion....

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There have been known issues with the additives in todays fuels to buildup on the fuel level sender board/contacts ( sulfur contamination ). Sometimes this is a bigger issue with vehicles that don't get used often but not always. I would recommend trying a additive first as this could be the cheapest solution. Look for the additive Chevron/Techron, this additive is known to be decent at cleaning the system of buildup. Also with using this additive I suggest using an alternate brand of fuel, 2-3 tanks may be needed.

Your condition is not a trait of the fuel pump failing, but sometimes fuel level sensors can not be replaced without replacing the entire pump assy. this might be the way you truck is but I dont know.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not mechanically ignorant when it comes to electrics, suspension, brakes, and minor engine work/repair, but I know very little about fuel system components.

Fuel system components ARE electrics and/or minor engine work.

Anything I can do to buy some time? -- Any fuel system cleaners that might help out?

There are no magic potions for electrical problems.

I know the pump and sending unit are "one" in your truck (we have an '03, I hate it), but if your guage is going SUPER crazy, it is more likely the guage, a short, or a poor ground, I would think.

I bet you can figure it out on your own! Get a FACTORY sevice manual. Nothing else. Read. I'd bet you check the output from the pump/sending unit, and get different values at different fuel levels. Also, look for obvious poor connections, or wires that might be melted/rubbed together.

Don't know any mechanics in Edmond... sorry! You can do it!

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your condition is not a trait of the fuel pump failing, but sometimes fuel level sensors can not be replaced without replacing the entire pump assy. this might be the way you truck is but I dont know.

Yeah since my fuel pump module resides inside the tank, I'm not sure what else was included in that module and if it was possible to replace/repair specific pieces of it or if it was a condition of having to replace the entire unit even if 1 little problem arises.

Thanks for the info, I'll swing by O'R at lunch and pick up a bottle of Chevron Plus and give it a whirl.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, there are also known issues with the guage cluster in these trucks, It was a rather big issue that could affect one or all the guages. The guages would erratically peg-out, become inop, or produce noise. My '03 was mainly the Tach and sometimes Speedometer and it made clicking/rubbing noises too. Im also pretty sure there was a recall or service bulletin about this.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fuel system components ARE electrics and/or minor engine work.

There are no magic potions for electrical problems.

I know the pump and sending unit are "one" in your truck (we have an '03, I hate it), but if your guage is going SUPER crazy, it is more likely the guage, a short, or a poor ground, I would think.

I bet you can figure it out on your own! Get a FACTORY sevice manual. Nothing else. Read. I'd bet you check the output from the pump/sending unit, and get different values at different fuel levels. Also, look for obvious poor connections, or wires that might be melted/rubbed together.

Don't know any mechanics in Edmond... sorry! You can do it!

My electronics knowledge in cars consists of fuse boxes, wiring, auto windows/door locks/mirrors, etc, but not really anything behind the cab except for taillight and trailer hitch wiring.

It's not that replacing the fuel pump extends past my scope of know-how, I just don't know how to tell if it's a bad unit that needs to be completely replaced and if it actually does need to be replaced, I don't have the tools to do it. I just bought a house last summer and it's my first garage, I barely have the tools required to change my oil, and even though I have the knowledge, I definitely don't have the means of draining and dropping a tank.

I have lifted the side of my truck up and hopped onto a creeper and checked all connections from front to back. Nothing loose, nothing cut, all A-OK.

Latest posts

Top Bottom