I think my fuel pump is going out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, there are also known issues with the guage cluster in these trucks, It was a rather big issue that could affect one or all the guages. The guages would erratically peg-out, become inop, or produce noise. My '03 was mainly the Tach and sometimes Speedometer and it made clicking/rubbing noises too. Im also pretty sure there was a recall or service bulletin about this.

Hmm, I'll look into this, thanks! I'd have to pull up the website to look, but I know the last time I checked several months ago, all recalls/SBs have been met and satisfied on my truck.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You dont have to drop the tank to replace the pump, as long as you have the ability to remove the bed. I have done many of them both ways and either way is no big deal to me. If you find you need to replace the pump be prepared to change out the connector/wiring at the pump too.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, there are also known issues with the guage cluster in these trucks, It was a rather big issue that could affect one or all the guages. The guages would erratically peg-out, become inop, or produce noise. My '03 was mainly the Tach and sometimes Speedometer and it made clicking/rubbing noises too. Im also pretty sure there was a recall or service bulletin about this.

YES!!!!

I get the random clicking a lot... Recall you say, as in free repair at the dealer??? Danny, you should call a dealer, and have them run your VIN to see if your truck falls in the group. Hell, I should to see if our POS does too! I hate that truck. Shitrolet.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My electronics knowledge in cars consists of fuse boxes, wiring, auto windows/door locks/mirrors, etc, but not really anything behind the cab except for taillight and trailer hitch wiring.

It's not that replacing the fuel pump extends past my scope of know-how, I just don't know how to tell if it's a bad unit that needs to be completely replaced and if it actually does need to be replaced, I don't have the tools to do it. I just bought a house last summer and it's my first garage, I barely have the tools required to change my oil, and even though I have the knowledge, I definitely don't have the means of draining and dropping a tank.

I have lifted the side of my truck up and hopped onto a creeper and checked all connections from front to back. Nothing loose, nothing cut, all A-OK.

Danny, the best tool you will ever buy for doing anything to that truck is a factory service manual from the dealer. Do it.

One to the hip!

Sorry, just slipped out.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its the sending unit acting up. Yes it is part of the fuel pump assembly. No it does not mean your pump is going out. On my chevy the sending unit has been acting up for about 3 years. Just set your trip OD everytime you fill up and keep on eye on how many miles you drive between fill ups. A new assembly from Napa runs from 250 to 400 depending on what brand you want. If it was me i wouldnt worry about it.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It might not be a recall I just cant remember. GM was at one time doing something about it though. It might have been a "good faith" warranty. Given the year range and possible mileage of these trucks I suspect GM is done helping now. If you ever need to replace the cluster, they are easy to do.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It might not be a recall I just cant remember. GM was at one time doing something about it though. It might have been a "good faith" warranty. Given the year range and possible mileage of these trucks I suspect GM is done helping now. If you ever need to replace the cluster, they are easy to do.

But are they cheap????? Like me?:wink2:

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a replacement cluster for my '03, I even upgraded to the Silverado SS cluster. This gave me white guages, and the trans temp guage where the empty spot is. I think I paid somewhere around 250-275 but that was a few years ago.

Pretty sure I got it from these people http://aaellc.com/index.html There website used to be setup where you could custom build a cluster with background and needle colors, or just use factory options like the SS, Escalade, Denali etc...

W150

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But are they cheap????? Like me?:wink2:
Instrument clusters are not cheap.
But you are covered by a class action settlement giving you a special
coverage adj. to your warranty (GM pickups 2003 to 2005).
This does not apply to cars and was 1 reason I was unhappy with GM a month ago.:rant:
Google GM instrument cluster settlement and it should find it.
To me it sounds like the cluster and maybe the sender.
If you are cheap I would take it to dealership get it diagnosed if it is cluster you are covered, if they say it is sender I would guestimate mileage from trip meter and fillup the tank more often.

Latest posts

Top Bottom