I think my fuel pump is going out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good morning.

Within the last couple of weeks, I've noticed my gas gauge in my 2004 Silverado has been reading incorrectly. It'll randomly point just about wherever it wants, sometimes going so far clockwise, that it points straight down.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is a sign of a fuel pump going out. I have not had any issues starting my truck or keeping it running/idling, but I know if this is my fuel pump, it's probably not long before this does start happening.

I'm not mechanically ignorant when it comes to electrics, suspension, brakes, and minor engine work/repair, but I know very little about fuel system components.

Can any mechanics or shooters in the know here confirm that it might be my FP? I know it's hard to say just based off of what info I've given. Without paying a mechanic $$/hr to look at my truck to confirm, is there any other way I can better tell it is my FP? I don't yet have all the tools required in my garage to drain and drop my fuel tank or lift the bed up off the frame to physically inspect this myself.

Anything I can do to buy some time? -- Any fuel system cleaners that might help out?

Any "honest", dependable mechanics around the Edmond area?

I just put a pump in my 2001 Z71. It did the same thing. I went to see about a gauge and they said it was the pump. They said the pump and sending unit are all in one unit. He told me it was a matter of time and my pump would go out. Sure nuff. Went to H&H and when I came out it would not start. Now I have a new fuel pump and it reads right.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old GMC Sierra Flea71 had the same problem. The dealer said the pumps usually go out around 100,000 miles. Got rid of the truck and got a 2005 Dodge Ram 4x4 SLT 5.9 Cummins 6spd.....no problems. The GMC had several major problems....pos.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If Any of u guys in the edmond area need a good mechanic... Donald at Ricter auto repair .. 405.471.6355

He has always taken care of our problems.. and in a great time frame..

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DT,..I doubt if it's the actual pump. On the two Chevy trucks I've had previously the fuel pump has gone out with NO notice. It will be working fine and then BAM, I'm stuck in the Sonic parking lot looking like an idiot.

Life has been good on mine, they seem to go out at between 200,000 and 220,000 miles. Unless you just got a lemon, I bet the actual pump is fine on a 2004

soonertodd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
definitely needs a fuel sender,best to replace the the whole thing.you can get the same one gm uses at napa.will be made by delphi.the only problems i have seen with the cluster are speedo and tach issues.i bet if you were to hook up a scan tool it will have a code in the pcm for fuel level sensor.

KYLE_B

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think autozone will scan the pcm for free. I'd see if it's showing the code for the fuel sender. If not then its most likely the gauge cluster. GM exteded their warranty on them up to 75k miles. The speedometer in my 2004 Yukon started clicking and then started to read random speeds. To have it repaired would have been around $300. I just purchased the updated stepper motors and repaired the cluster myself. If I still have one around I'll give it to you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom