I think my fuel pump is going out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hi-kountry-okie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
the fuel gauge & pump are all one assembly had the same thing with my sons truck a few months ago to start with then the fuel gauge began sending false readings than the fuel pump went out and a month later the instrument cluster began to fail with the fuel level reading and the tachometer, check" rockauto.com" for the fuel pump assy. they are much cheaper than anybody else I believe they saved me a little over a $100.00 compared to auto zones cheapest fuel pump assy., if the cluster is failing as well I found a guy on ebay from fort worth area to rebuild the cluster with all new drive motors and gauge lights for $70.00 it only takes a couple of minutes to pop the cluster out of the dash I believe he goes by Dallasman, he also sells a DIY rebuild kit for around $20.00

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sounds like a PITA!!

all the car mfg are ganging up with crap designs like this.
don't think for a minute this was by accident.
forced obsolescence by design.

just dealt with a Dodge Sprinter Van with dash lights staying on after shutting down with key out.

after a trip to the dealer ($110 hr) who is the only ones that have access to factory data to trace.... come to find out... the fuel pump control module which requires dropping tank to change out was causing problems.

WTF does the dash lights have to do with the fuel pump working?
answer is nothing except now a $700 module has to be replaced to fix dash lights. battery will run down overnight if not fixed.

by the way... fuel pump is running great through this entire ordeal.
mysteriously the problem has gone away for now...

Copper01

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of the 5 Chevy trucks I've driven over the years. They all have ended up with sending unit issues. I've only changed 2, the others I just kept up with the miles per tank of gas using the trip odometer. It doesn't surprise me that the new stuff is all one unit. Makes it easier to sell you a high priced part.

For everyone with fuel pumps going out. Don't let your tanks get below 1/4 full. My understanding is that the pump is kept cool by the gas, though I don't understand that when it 104 outside. Regardless I've always been told and do keep the tank at least 1/4 full and I haven't had a actual pump go out on me yet.

As far a changing the pump. A good buddy or A frame and hoist to pull the bed has been the easiest way for me. I hate dropping the tank for whatever reason.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I have one [possible] problem with changing out the gauge cluster.

My truck isn't an ordinary Silverado, it's an RST package (outfitted by Regency). Regency has gone out of business and replacement parts are harder to find than a leprechan riding a unicorn.

These are my gauges:
ai20.photobucket.com_albums_b241_fistpittingnork_NewTruck10.jpg

Would a mechanic be able to keep my silver gauge faces when replacing the cluster? I don't want to give them up only for proper fuel level readings.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
assuming it's actually the fuel tank sender giving problems... and that's what it sounds like based on all the feedback of other folks having identical problems. you shouldn't have to touch gauges at all.

if you are going to keep the vehicle long term... best to shop hard for the best priced part needed. rest assured that if it's as common a problem as feedback indicates. there will be multiple sources for the fuel sender/pump assembly. get the factory part number to assist in your search for lowest price.

there could be several hundred $$$ difference in price for the same part. $500 vs $200 .... dropping the gas tank to replace is a major PITA without the right equipment.

a full service shop will have a four post hydraulic lift and transmission jack with fuel tank adapter. without proper equipment a one hour job becomes an all weekend long job.

Would a mechanic be able to keep my silver gauge faces when replacing the cluster? I don't want to give them up only for proper fuel level readings.

1911GI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the fuel gauge & pump are all one assembly

You can buy the sender separate. Most dealers just don't want to.

If going to dealer tell them it is in part group 3.107 some do not even know this group exists. Part number will depend on options but if PM details I can get you correct GM part number, then your best bet is parts.com price wise.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning.

Within the last couple of weeks, I've noticed my gas gauge in my 2004 Silverado has been reading incorrectly. It'll randomly point just about wherever it wants, sometimes going so far clockwise, that it points straight down.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is a sign of a fuel pump going out. I have not had any issues starting my truck or keeping it running/idling, but I know if this is my fuel pump, it's probably not long before this does start happening.

I'm not mechanically ignorant when it comes to electrics, suspension, brakes, and minor engine work/repair, but I know very little about fuel system components.

Can any mechanics or shooters in the know here confirm that it might be my FP? I know it's hard to say just based off of what info I've given. Without paying a mechanic $$/hr to look at my truck to confirm, is there any other way I can better tell it is my FP? I don't yet have all the tools required in my garage to drain and drop my fuel tank or lift the bed up off the frame to physically inspect this myself.

Anything I can do to buy some time? -- Any fuel system cleaners that might help out?

Any "honest", dependable mechanics around the Edmond area?

My Suburban is on it's third fuel pump.

I trust Richard's Car Care on North May. You can Google and find them.

Woody

Grim

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate changing fuel pumps. It seems like none of them last more then a couple of years, they don't have good waranties and they're high priced!

Latest posts

Top Bottom