Ice Storm Preps ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK ... someone asked for this so here it is ...

Back when GC and I got together I was a lot of things, but "prepared" for anything was not one of them. I'd never been without power for a whole 24 hours, never been stuck out on the road with anything other than a flat tire, nothing ... :drunk5:

GC, however, was one of "those" people ... :shocked: He nagged and nagged and nagged at me to let him buy a generator. As the Minister of Finance, I however, was deadset against such folly ... they take up too much room, they stink, they are too noisy ... blah, blah, blah ...

GC finally traded someone here on OSA a rifle for a generator in 2006. :pissed: Oh, well ... at least it didn't cost me any real money ... :shocked:

Fast forward to December, 2007. Wonderful little ice storm that was ... All the hotels were full; all the restaurants were closed because they didn't have power either ... And we were without power for an entire week. Ours was the last block in this area to come back on.

I cannot tell you how happy I was when GC fired up that big old stinky noisy generator. :kiss: I figured out pretty quickly that I should have let him store some gasoline for it because sitting in line at 7-11 with everyone else in freezing weather to fill up 5 gallon gas cans sucks.

So ... While I may be prone to learning my lessons the hard way, I do at least pay close attention when I am inconvienced in some way ... This is what I learned:

1. A generator is a must. You don't use it often but when you need it, you need it B.A.D.

2. A generator is nice but gas to run it with is even nicer ...

3. MREs, while not my favorite, are pretty tasty when you are hungry.

4. An electric can opener is worthless if you don't have electricity ... :shocked: (Who knew?? LOL)

5. Like a generator, a fireplace is worthless if you don't have any wood to burn in it. We now have a couple of ricks minimum stored away in the backyard ALL the time ...

6. Yeah, gas heat is great but if you don't have the electricity to run the blower on the gas furnace, again ... life can be so unfair. :shocked:

7. Thermal underwear (even if they have that funky fly stuff guys need in the front) are pretty danged nifty ... :woot:

8. You are gonna have downed tree limbs. You can cut them up with a hand saw, or a chain saw. Chain saws are better. Again, if you have the gas to run them ...

9. You can use camping equipment in the house and cooking a pot of beans in the dutch oven in fireplace is better than a cold MRE any day.

So, now, here we are today. GC is still one of "those" people. He drives me nuts because he prefaces every purchase requisition with "Remember when I got that generator we didn't need?" but I'm one of "those" people too. I don't like having to do without, I don't like having to spend my money on hotel rooms in the town I live in (at least I should get to TRAVEL somewhere nice ...) and I really don't like living with GC when he is inconvenienced in any way and still has to go back and forth to work. :wink2:

Last year we upgraded to a bigger generator and sold the old one to a member here for something like $50. This new one has a push start button on it because, with my neck injury, I couldn't pull the start cord on the old one to get it going if I had to. I still don't relish the thought of being without power for any length of time but a generator, some wood for the fireplace and the equipment to cook outside (or in the fireplace) with makes the difference in being inconvenienced and being in real trouble. I will NEVER be without a generator again in my life. :bighug:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 6500 watt genset is in the garage and I wired up a 240v dryer plug to the breaker box. In the event of power failure, I shut off the main breaker to the pole, get my "suicide" cord and plug it into the outlet and the generator and fire it up. Now my whole house is powered and I can run one elec. burner to cook, several lights, TV and blower on my wood stove works.
Get you a good electrician to wire this up for you and like is much easier when the power goes out.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BB

I would like to add a couple bits of advice.

Chainsaws require 2 stoke oil, bar chain oil and sharp chains.

Generators will not secure themselves and MUST be used outside so a chain and lock will do you well.

While MREs will keep you alive, there are PLENTY of other items that will last almost as long and are much more tastier and eaisier to pass.

You should either plug into the generator directly or install a backflow preventer to keep your utility repair personell safe.

Duct tape and visqueen can help you cordon off a room or two that you can heat much easier.

If you can find the wire that runs the fan on your heat and air, you can cut it in two and put a female and male plug on then you can run it from your generator with the male plug.

Wives should listen to their husbands when it comes to SHTF stuff.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the storm is bad enough, I have to go do damage assessment for work. Yay for hotels and 16 hour days.

We try to keep oil lamps handy and lots of blankets. We've also got two dogs and a gas hot water heater so we can stay warm. Mostly worry about the snakes.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the storm is bad enough, I have to go do damage assessment for work. Yay for hotels and 16 hour days.

We try to keep oil lamps handy and lots of blankets. We've also got two dogs and a gas hot water heater so we can stay warm. Mostly worry about the snakes.

A serious question ... Don't snakes hybernate (sorry I don't think I spelled it right, but I'm too lazy to spell check)??

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A serious question ... Don't snakes hybernate (sorry I don't think I spelled it right, but I'm too lazy to spell check)??

It isn't like a bear hibernating. They don't just sleep all winter. The concern is being that they're cold blooded they still need a heat source to survive and that's what I would struggle to provide them. I would probably have to move them all together into a large container and use heated water to keep them warm.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It isn't like a bear hibernating. They don't just sleep all winter. The concern is being that they're cold blooded they still need a heat source to survive and that's what I would struggle to provide them. I would probably have to move them all together into a large container and use heated water to keep them warm.

Ask Lurker66 what you should do with the snakes.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Ohhhhh ... learn something new every day ... Thanks!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom