If you were about to start a life in Alaska...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You’re about to start a life in Alaska or way up north and remote. You will be living a minimal lifestyle in whatever you can build. You can bring just one firearm, 10lbs of ammo per year and four individual spare parts. Similar to the show Alone but with more gear.

This is about just the one firearm you can bring. You’re extremely unlikely to need to defend yourself from people. You just need to live in the wild.

What would you choose?

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
10 pounds of ammo isn’t much for a whole 12 months. That’s about 14 rounds @ 1 1/8 oz 12 gauge per pound and that’s just the shot. Taking something for bigger game ie 308 or 30-06 sounds good but again, it’s just not that many rounds of ammo when you think of terms of a year. I’d probably just bring my Winchester 1890 in 22WRF and hunt small game as well as grouse and ptarmigan. I think that would give me around 1,000 rounds to hunt with for the year.

Last edited:

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since I talk to one of our regulars that DID make that move, on a daily basis, I can tell you right now it needs to be something that'll feed you but will also kill a grizzly. 45-70 lever or a FNX45 for me.

I know that sentence isn't grammatically correct. Engrish and all that.

It was Bootleggn.

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I’ll play. My choices would be between my Blaser BBF97 12 ga over 308 combo gun or my Blaser R93 with a 9.3x62 and 270 Win barrels, and I’d probably take the combo gun. My scope choice for either gun would be a Swarovski Z6 1.7-10 with an illuminated reticle.
Nice! I used to have a 9.3x62. Combination guns are cool too

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll play. My choices would be between my Blaser BBF97 12 ga over 308 combo gun or my Blaser R93 with a 9.3x62 and 270 Win barrels, and I’d probably take the combo gun. My scope choice for either gun would be a Swarovski Z6 1.7-10 with an illuminated reticle.
I have no idea what that is. I’m glad my job isn’t to have your preferred rifles on hand.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watch a ton of Alaska series about people that live there year around as well as Alaska hunting videos.
What I’ve noticed is that the native Inuit’s use every thing from Mosins to lever guns in 30-30 to .223 AR’s to shoot moose, grizzly, Caribou and polar bears. They are poor people so they shoot what they can afford, but they survive with those firearms that very few people would use in that situation.
Watching those series you have to stock up a lot of fish as well as meat to make it through the winter. Some don’t live near the migration routes of Caribou or near moose habitat, so they have to live on a combo of fish and small game plus domestic animals raised to butcher.
So, I’m going with a combo gun with a large caliber rifle and 20 ga shotgun barrels. Most of the ptarmigan are shot with .22 rifles though.
10 lb of ammo is very little so 10 rounds of CF rifle and the rest shotshells.
Trapping to supplement the small amount of ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom