If you were about to start a life in Alaska...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking some shots will be to kill or scare off critters attacking your homestead.

I think there are rules about just killing to protect your place or livestock that are different than here.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm…

Lever action 30-30.

Trigger
Lever
Barrel
Stock

Screwdriver (Phillips)

I would shoot the ammo reloading resource when the time comes, but not until then.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m more of a Folgers guy than a cappuccino fan.
About 20 years ago, Dad’s company was the US reps for Blaser for a short time, and when they got ready to sell their samples, I bought my first Blaser R93 at a cut rate price. I didn’t know much about them and found a Blaser message board. Long story short, I used to hang out with a lot of Blaser enthusiasts and bought, sold, and traded Blaser stuff for many years. My last “Blaser friend” died last September, and my interest has faded in the platform as my friend group and hunting situation has changed. I’m considering selling out my R93 stuff and just keeping my combo gun.
I have never had the fortune of owning a Blaser, but I have shot few R8 rifle. Smooth as butter and beautiful guns. I also had the chance to shoot an gorgeous F3 shotgun that he owned.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You’re about to start a life in Alaska or way up north and remote. You will be living a minimal lifestyle in whatever you can build. You can bring just one firearm, 10lbs of ammo per year and four individual spare parts. Similar to the show Alone but with more gear.

This is about just the one firearm you can bring. You’re extremely unlikely to need to defend yourself from people. You just need to live in the wild.

What would you choose?
I would take my M-1 Garrand with two different loads about 50% each of 30-06 165g spzr-fb and the rest 220g rn-sp and plenty of clips with a 1.5- 6x Leopold scope with German #4 reticle on an offset mount which lets me switch over to my peep and post iron sights, if needed. My second choice would be my custom built Browning BLR chambered for the 375 WSM wildcat with two loads for it, 225g Hornady spire points and 270g Hornady RN and the same scope as above. I pick the Garrand 1st because of its reliability to keep firing under severe conditions and the extra fire power (8 rounds for you young kids that don't know what us old guys like) I don't think there's a grizzly, brown or polar bear on the planet that could survive absorbing eight rounds of 220g bullets at 2200 fps.
Note: My Garrand is set up with an adjustable gas system so I can use full power loads, and I used to shoot DCM and can load another clip in in about 1-2 seconds. Besides, I have a plethora of AR style guns but NONE of them are as reliable feeding and functioning as my Garrand.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I really had to survive and needed the lightest most effective ammo. And if my gun went down I would screwed. Probably a CZ in 223.

Latest posts

Top Bottom