Insect Repellent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is your preferred insect repellent? My skin doesn't react well to DEET, but I've always dealt with it because it works...I'm ready to try some other products and give my skin a break.

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just tried out a new product (new to me) this past weekend, it's called permethrin, treat your clothing with it, I worked my land for a few hours Saturday, dealt with brush as tall as my chest, product is supposed to kill and repel ticks, chiggers, mosquitos, pretty much all irritating insects, when I got home I stripped down just knowing I was infested with ticks after walking through what I'd walked through, found one dead tick on my left shin, was pleasantly surprised, no bites, no irritation, has me sold

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just tried out a new product (new to me) this past weekend, it's called permethrin, treat your clothing with it, I worked my land for a few hours Saturday, dealt with brush as tall as my chest, product is supposed to kill and repel ticks, chiggers, mosquitos, pretty much all irritating insects, when I got home I stripped down just knowing I was infested with ticks after walking through what I'd walked through, found one dead tick on my left shin, was pleasantly surprised, no bites, no irritation, has me sold
This is what I use. Available in the camping section at wallyworld.
You spray your clothes with it, not the skin. The chemical will last a couple of washings.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure you apply permethrin in an outside, well ventilated area (if it is a spray, if it is washed in then follow the instructions provided) and let it fully dry before wearing the clothing. We used this way back in Desert Storm (1991) and it is effective.

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what I use. Available in the camping section at wallyworld.
You spray your clothes with it, not the skin. The chemical will last a couple of washings.
Yep, with the bottle I bought I was supposed to get 4 applications for coating pants, socks and shirt, I typically tend to go by the overkill mantra, most of the time accidentally, anyways I coated my pants, undershirt, long sleeve shirt, socks and a hat, bottle was empty, used residue in bottle to coat my boots, oh well I suppose haha

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the whole "Oil Life" thing, but my wife has a mix of them she uses in a pump spray bottle that works well. I'm pretty sure that citronella is one ingredient.

3/2ACR Vet

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're trying to deter ticks, and wear boots or long socks, try getting a pair of flea and tick collars and wearing them on your ankles. it sounds odd, but that's what we did when I was in the Army at Ft. Riley. Any trip to the field in spring/summer and you'd be picking ticks off every day, but the collars kept them away.

Just don't wear them on bare skin, you'll get a rash.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife is a vet and sells some flea/tick/mosquito repellent made of cinnamon and lemongrass oils and a couple other oils. No chemicals.

It flat out works, and smells pretty nice. Fair warning; if you get it on the bottom of your flip flops, you WILL fall on your ass.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just eat lots and lots of garlic. When the swarm of mosquitoes start buzzing all I have to do is break wind and the survivors go find someone else to feed on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom