Interesting OC Experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the deal.

Two days before last Christmas I was in the market for a new router. Went to the Best Buy in MWC at the outdoor mall just off Air Depot and SE 29th.

I was OC'ng with a Black Hawk L2 holster and a Kimber Ultra Tac 2. No cover at all. Walked in the door and stopped and asked the guy there where I could get a router. He told me and then got on the phone as I walked off in the direction he pointed me at. It was a very busy day with lots of customers. Within less than 30 seconds and only about a 1/3 of the way there a Best Buy associate met me and asked if I was the guy wanting a router. I was. He took me back to the router section, answered all my questions, we decided on one and he walked me most of the way out.

NOW THAT WAS SERVICE LIKE I'D NEVER SEEN AT BEST BUY BEFORE.

Today I needed to get a 7 port USB hub. Before I left the house I remembered what had happened back at Christmas and wanted to try an experiment. Today I carried concealed.

Walked into the store, same time of day as the last time. Walked up to the guy covering the entrance and asked where I could get a 7 port USB hub. Pointed at the back of the store and said, "computer stuff is back there". No guy showed up to guide me to the correct location. Got to the PC area and there were 5 - yes 5 BB associates standing around the cash register shootin' the breeze. Had to ask one where the USB hubs were. At that point one broke away from the herd and helped me out. Excellent service, competent guy who answered every question but didn't walk me most of the way out of the store after I chose what I wanted.

One wonders if OC'ng was the reason for the 1st experience and CCW'ng for the 2nd.

Lousy test I know. No controls, lots of variables other than a visible gun that could be an explanation for the difference.

BUT!

Being a pro OC guy I like to think that the 1st experience resulted from my having carried a gun in plain sight.

Maybe Heinlein was right. "An armed society is a polite society" :clap3:

ewcraig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sort of torn on OC vs CC. I have heard folks say that the first person a criminal would try to take out would be those with OC since the OC would be an obvious opponent. Thoughts?

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me and Rebalracer got thanked at Taco Bell in Owasso today for carrying. He was open owb with his Stainless Kimber with his shirt tucked in, I was OWB but had my shirt over it (printing bad lol)
The other customers thanked us for taking the responsibility to protect everyone in there!

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sort of torn on OC vs CC. I have heard folks say that the first person a criminal would try to take out would be those with OC since the OC would be an obvious opponent. Thoughts?

Most criminals don't take the time to survey everyone in an establishment they intend to rob. They do a quick look for those guys in fancy uniforms and shiny badges, and if they don't see one, they proceed.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmm ... if it makes that big a difference in the quality of service I might have to reconsider my stance on open carry.

(Jeez ... for those of you born without any sense of humor at all, I'm kidding ... Sorry, okiebryan, I know I got you all excited there for a minute! *wink, wink* :D )

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most criminals don't take the time to survey everyone in an establishment they intend to rob. They do a quick look for those guys in fancy uniforms and shiny badges, and if they don't see one, they proceed.
you have some proof to backup that statement? thats the opposite of my experience

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went into a different best buy last evening while OC and had a similar experience. I was looking for a USB extension cable. Guy at the door pointed me in the right direction and about the time I got to the right isle, another associate was right there to help me find the cable I needed. He already knew what I was looking for and was pointing it out almost before I could confirm that was what I wanted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom