Internet war?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XDnut

Marksman
Reaction score
Unless you're an Iranian, I think you're thinking about the wrong nuclear agency. Although "we" have never acknowledged it, "we" destroyed (some of) "their" centrifuges (see "stuxnet"). I'm not aware of any incidents like that involving American nuclear facilities--and I'm pretty sure that'd have made the technical press if not the mainstream media.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...-s-nuclear-agency-three-times-in-three-years/ I can not find the one on the facility, but I will try to find it. Wasn't in the mainstream news for sure, just as the power grid attack wasn't.

Typically, critical networks are "air gapped" meaning there is no physical connection between those critical networks and the internet. To move data between those two networks requires a sneakernet (put on your sneakers and carry your data over to the other computer). Social engineering is the biggest payer in the game right now because promising some moron a million dollars or a new password if they just click that link is far easier than brute force penetration into some network.

Would make a lot more sense that way, that's for sure.

Reaction score

...and to quote this article... this makes me feel a little better, but not much.

"Update: The Nuclear Energy Institute challengedABC’s reporting on Friday via its Twitter account, saying that the nuclear sector “recently received classified briefing by DHS on this Russian malware campaign,” and that “U.S. nuclear plants are isolated from external networks.”

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Seriously, you're worrying about incidents that have a very very small chance of successfully interrupting daily life in the U.S.

You can take your tinfoil hat off and take a deep breath. It's going to be ooookaaay.

Keep in mind that for every one incident you've managed to find a sliver of data on, there are hundreds you will never know about. I'm not saying they're not trying, I'm saying that there is no "Thermal Exhaust Port" on the Deathstar that is the United States.

www.mobiles24.com_static_previews_downloads_default_314_P_580238_0OcjigDW7m_1.jpg

Reaction score
Seriously, you're worrying about incidents that have a very very small chance of successfully interrupting daily life in the U.S.

You can take your tinfoil hat off and take a deep breath. It's going to be ooookaaay.

Keep in mind that for every one incident you've managed to find a sliver of data on, there are hundreds you will never know about. I'm not saying they're not trying, I'm saying that there is no "Thermal Exhaust Port" on the Deathstar that is the United States.

www.mobiles24.com_static_previews_downloads_default_314_P_580238_0OcjigDW7m_1.jpg

When I posted this thread I obviously didn't know as much about the interwebz as I thought I did, but now that you guys and other have educated me a little more on it I realize it's not really anything big to worry about, since everything is on it's own network and such. Tinfoil hat removed... :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom