Is it rude to return something at a restaurant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't mind Chiles, but my wife HATES it. I haven't eaten there in years. The food there is tasty, but really fattening. I had a staff member that would regularly eat two orders of the Chicken Crispers with Fries, Corn and honey mustard.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, Chilies? I know for a fact IHOP won't charge for food sent back. I might expect something like that from a mom&pop place that can't afford to give out free meals, but a big chain usually has plenty of wiggle room for that sorta thing.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a service industry. You're paying for a level of service and food prepared as described on the menu. If the food and device are good, tell them so and leave an appropriate tip. Bad food- tell them what's bad about it and send it back. Bad service- tell them and have the manager come out if needed. If all is fixed- tip well. Not fixed- leave a penny and don't go back.

Honesty and the polite, yet firm approach almost always work to resolve such problems.

KenL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it depends on the restaurant. I ate at Cimarron Steak House on Reno & Meridian in OKC once and a cockroach walked across my steak while I was eating. I politely told the waitress what happened and that I was pretty much done eating. A few minutes later she comes back and hands me my bill. Full price. I asked if I had to pay for the part the cockroach crawled on and she pretty much ignored me. I guess that's a common occurrence there. I left (almost) enough cash on the table to pay for the meal and never went back.

Being polite got me nowhere at this restaurant.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I take a different position from most of what has been said. I think if there is nothing wrong with the meal (prepared correctly, etc), but its something you just didn't like, you should have to pay for it. How is that the restaurant's fault and why should they bear the expense for that? It isn't a supermarket with a taster's table set up.

If it's something that was prepared incorrectly, that's a different story.

I've never sent anything back, but I would do so if I thought the meal justified it.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We send stuff back sometimes. It's never been a problem, and I've never been charged for things sent back. If I was charged, I would be speaking to the manager about it.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I take a different position from most of what has been said. I think if there is nothing wrong with the meal (prepared correctly, etc), but its something you just didn't like, you should have to pay for it. How is that the restaurant's fault and why should they bear the expense for that? It isn't a supermarket with a taster's table set up.

If it's something that was prepared incorrectly, that's a different story.

This is what i was thinking. I think it depends on if the issue was you deciding you just didn't want/like how they fixed something or if something was wrong with it. I've sent back a burger that was so salty it was inedible, but that is different than ordering the tomato sauce and then realizing you don't like tomatoes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom