Is it rude to return something at a restaurant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

OkieGentleman

No it is not rude to send something back that tasted bad. I once got at steak and the meal looked super nice. Tried to cut the steak and could not get the knife thru it. I flipped it over and the bottom was burned to charcoal. Called the waitress over and pointed to the steak. She grabbed it and took it back to the back and let the cook know that that was unacceptable in loud tone. Ten minutes later I got a fresh plate that looked great with fresh everything on it. She stood by to make sure I was happy with my new meal. Turns out she owned the place and prided herself in the food and service given to the customers. If it is bad and you do not say something about it you do the owner a disservice by not letting him know. I once got my meal tab halved by tell another manager that the fresh broccoli in the salad bar was full of sand. He tried it and took everything back to be rewashed and when he was done he stopped by and adjusted my bill and thanked me. Just remember the waiter only brought the meal they did not cook it or plate it, so rude comments to the wait staff are out of line.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of hate for the food industry here. If you had a problem with the food, it should have been taken off your bill. If you don't say anything it will happen again to someone else, call and tell a manager or if they left you a slip/receipt to leave a comment, go online and let them know what happened. I know that our restaurant gets an instant e-mail whenever any comment is left whether it be good or bad and we take steps to correct anything bad that happened. If that doesn't work I know the regional manager for Chili's here in Norman, his region might include Tulsa (our RM has part of Arkansas, Tulsa, OKC, and Norman).

Now to get on my soapbox: I've worked in the food industry for 5 1/2 years now and I have never seen anyone tamper with the food that was re-made. I guess I work in a better quality restaurant than some of the other people's family members. You shouldn't have to worry about food being tampered with when you go out an we don't tolerate anyone even joking about it. As for the 15% tips - trust me, you're not going to be making $40-$50 an hour from 15% tips unless you work in a restaurant that serves high dollar meals. I make around $15-$20 an hour depending on how busy we are and how well people tip. /end rant

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have people forget to hold the veggies on sandwiches all the time, really pisses me off but I never send it back unless it's a fast food joint. As for tipping, It's either 10% or nothing. I know some of you my think that's low but my cousin was a waiter at a place and tried to give me the "everyone should give at least 15%"I did some math with here and we came up that if everyone tipped her 15% her average wage would be 40-50 $/hour, I don't care what kind of people they deal with that's rediculus to pay a high schoolers that much.

they still have to report their earnings for tax purposes, not every sonic girl has a cpa...

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wife and I ate at Red Lobster sometime a couple of weeks ago and I ordered their e'touffee or something. I am not a food snob, but I've eaten great food all over the world and this dish did NOT live up to my standards. Well, I had some stuffed mushrooms and a salad and their amazing Cheddar bay biscuits, so I didn't really need it. I had a couple of bites and pushed it away.

The managed came by a few minutes later asking if everything was ok, and by my kind of hem-hawing response, he knew something wasn't right. He asked if I didn't like my meal and I told him I just didn't care for it, wasn't anything WRONG per se, just not to my taste. He insisted on taking it off my bill even though i told him there was no need and I wasn't upset or anything. I just knew I wouldn't order that particular dish again.

I thought they handled it very well and I was very pleased (and still full) when I left. I will definitely go back again.

However, I make it a rule to never send anything back to be recooked or replaced... I worked in foodservice too long and know what SOME people will do in those circumstances.

I also try not to go out to dinner with police officers... especially in uniform. ;)

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have done it before, its not rude. If it doesn't taste good, it doesn't taste good. I will call the waitress and let her know. They should have not charged you for the second meal. I never got charged, they just replace it. It's just good business.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once at Red Lobster I ordered the same dish I'd ordered a dozen times before. They effed it up and when I asked the waitress about it they lied to my face and told me that is how it has always been made. I guess the previous times I've ordered it it has always been screwed up. I scraped off the nastiness and ate it. I'm sure she was happy with her tip. One penny on the credit card receipt. That way they know you didn't forget and they get to pay taxes on their penny.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
my mother in law sends something back everytime we eat somewhere, so i think the restraunts are used to it.

She has to complain about something, everytime..

We have the same mother in law.

Every. Single. Time. Something is wrong... food was bad, didn't have the sides she wanted, service was bad, her drink went empty. Blah blah blah.

Drives me crazy.

On topic, if it's actually "bad" I will send it back. If I don't happen to like what I picked, sucks to be me.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a 15-20 dollar a plate joint where she pulls 40-50 an hour

You are assuming that an employee never tips out to the bar or bussers or kitchen, works only when it is busy and getting lots of tables with full tickets, never gets screwed on tips (i.e. $0 tip left on three figures or more tabs), people never sit and hold up tables for an hour after they're done eating, and never goes in and gets cuts 45 minutes after arriving).

There's a lot more to it than the simple math. Good wait staff make good money, and work hard for it. Sometimes, good wait staff get screwed anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom