Is it rude to return something at a restaurant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never ever send food back. If I try something new and I dont like it I just figured it was my risk to take. But if I order a burger and there is something wrong with it I will bring it to the servers attention and not get anything else. My sister was a waitress for years, you dont want to know what happens in those kitchens. Ignorance is bliss in this situation, especially if you send food back and it is returned to you after a complaint.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my mother in law sends something back everytime we eat somewhere, so i think the restraunts are used to it.

She has to complain about something, everytime..

If the food is spoiled, do them a favor....send it back. if it's not seasoned or prepared to your liking, well don't go back.

ymmv

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never ever send food back. If I try something new and I dont like it I just figured it was my risk to take. But if I order a burger and there is something wrong with it I will bring it to the servers attention and not get anything else. My sister was a waitress for years, you dont want to know what happens in those kitchens. Ignorance is bliss in this situation, especially if you send food back and it is returned to you after a complaint.

^^^this^^^ My sister worked in a high end steak house in Texas and saw what some of the workers did to peoples food that was sent back!!

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, I just didn't like it. That's why I didn't mind paying for it. I was just curious of what the consensus was.
I worked in a restaurant for 2 years so i have some sympathy.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not expect a free meal just because I didnt like what I ordered and nobody should. Thats not to say if something was actually wrong with the meal though. I also don't send anything back, ever! Here is another reason why.

Last edited by a moderator:

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I buy something (prepared food included), I expect it to live up to the billing. If it doesn't, I wouldn't consider it rude at all to discuss it with the person who sold it to me.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I won't ever send anything back. I just won't eat it. No way am I letting my food leave my sight after a complaint. Mistakes on my food are usually because I tell them to hold or substitute something and it's not done correctly. IMO, that is an issue with the waiter/waitress and is reflected in their tip. But I'm typically a great tipper so when I'm pissed I still tip ~15%.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have people forget to hold the veggies on sandwiches all the time, really pisses me off but I never send it back unless it's a fast food joint. As for tipping, It's either 10% or nothing. I know some of you my think that's low but my cousin was a waiter at a place and tried to give me the "everyone should give at least 15%"I did some math with here and we came up that if everyone tipped her 15% her average wage would be 40-50 $/hour, I don't care what kind of people they deal with that's rediculus to pay a high schoolers that much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom