Just found this on yahoo. Student loan forgiveness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is amazing to me that in a country where we subsidize farmers (I know a sod farmer who gets subsidies to grow sod), windmills and solar panels, pay the medical bills of illegals, half pay no federal taxes, out of control welfare that rewards irresponsible mothers, foreign aid, a never ending list of freebies, we find it unreasonable to help undergrad and grad students.
No wonder we keep importing educated people.
As a father who paid and is still paying big bucks to support grad students, I can't even deduct it from my taxes.
Vitruvian Doc, I feel your pain and understand your avatar, you can't afford to buy clothes.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is amazing to me that in a country where we subsidize farmers (I know a sod farmer who gets subsidies to grow sod), windmills and solar panels, pay the medical bills of illegals, half pay no federal taxes, out of control welfare that rewards irresponsible mothers, foreign aid, a never ending list of freebies, we find it unreasonable to help undergrad and grad students.
No wonder we keep importing educated people.
As a father who paid and is still paying big bucks to support grad students, I can't even deduct it from my taxes.
Vitruvian Doc, I feel your pain and understand your avatar, you can't afford to buy clothes.

That pretty much describes why everyone wants to come to America.

JonN06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Firecop, I'm confused. I used to live in Blanchard, Went to school k-12 in Bridgecreek. My parent received aid from FEMA after the May 3, 1999 tornado took our house. That's a natural disaster that no one could have seen coming. I don't recall all of the aid as I was 10 at the time. I know they got a pretty good interest rate to rebuild a house from FEMA other than that I don't recall. Most of what they received was from charities or churches, not actually the government.

I just don't think it is right for someone to agree to a set of terms and get what they wanted and then decide to not pay back what they bargained for. If the government wants to hook them up with some sweet interest rate deal sure why not. I'm no finance expert. I just feel at the very minimum the initial amount loaned should be payed back.

Obviously the education system is broken. Maybe public colleges that receive federal funding shouldn't be charging such outrageous tuition in the first place.

All I know is that if you agree up front to a loan you shouldn't complain about it after you received what you wanted from the deal.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Firecop, I'm confused. I used to live in Blanchard, Went to school k-12 in Bridgecreek. My parent received aid from FEMA after the May 3, 1999 tornado took our house. That's a natural disaster that no one could have seen coming. I don't recall all of the aid as I was 10 at the time. I know they got a pretty good interest rate to rebuild a house from FEMA other than that I don't recall. Most of what they received was from charities or churches, not actually the government.

I just don't think it is right for someone to agree to a set of terms and get what they wanted and then decide to not pay back what they bargained for. If the government wants to hook them up with some sweet interest rate deal sure why not. I'm no finance expert. I just feel at the very minimum the initial amount loaned should be payed back.

Obviously the education system is broken. Maybe public colleges that receive federal funding shouldn't be charging such outrageous tuition in the first place.

All I know is that if you agree up front to a loan you shouldn't complain about it after you received what you wanted from the deal.

Didn't many people get relief from their home loans?
As for the disaster relief that you received, many people have many kinds of disasters they face without help. If an area is hit and it is sizable, then federal aid comes in, if the area is small or just a couple of people get hurt, tough ****. I think that we have developed some weird notions of what fair is.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had almost $200k in student loan debt when I graduated law school. I had it paid off in under 10 years from graduation. However, that is the exception. Quite frankly, if I had not gotten into the type of law I did AND gone to work for myself, I would never have been able to pay it off so quickly. Also, I wasn't married and didn't have a family. I see these kids graduating with that amount of debt and it is mind boggling.

However, Alan is correct, you have to look at it as an investment. I would gladly do it all over again, but it sure was great to see those ZERO balances on the SallieMae website!

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't many people get relief from their home loans?

You will find that there are people opposed to that, as well as every subsidy and freebie listed in your other post.

As for "half pay no Federal taxes", I believe that is simply untrue. Just look at the rates of vehicle ownership in the US.

politicalloudmouth.files.wordpress.com_2011_08_dollar_protest.jpg

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've helped 2 go...and owed about $90K in my part of their parent- financed student loans. Thank Goodness, both got healthy scholarships and grants.
My son ended up taking loans for about 20% of his undergrad work in his name. I wanted him to have a stake...he's learned alot about personal managment too...LOL.
There is money out there... but it takes effort and work to find it. My son probably spent well over 200 hours a year searching and sending applications for a lot of obscure scholorships... and after a year off he's in Law School and it's pretty much paid for.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One only needs to look at the tuition increases that are almost always double the rate of inflation or more to figure out that college degrees are a racket. You're paying for a LOT of stuff that has no bearing on your education. I have little empathy for those that overpay for a degree and I have less than zero empathy for the colleges that sell them. The cost of higher education ranks right up there with health care as one of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on the American public. :(

They have to keep raising the fees to pay the $4,000,000 salary to the football coach.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will find that there are people opposed to that, as well as every subsidy and freebie listed in your other post.

As for "half pay no Federal taxes", I believe that is simply untrue. Just look at the rates of vehicle ownership in the US.

I can only say what I read and it has been written repeatedly that half pay no Federal taxes. I cannot personally verify this poll or any other poll.
I cannot verify that GE paid no taxes but received billions in free money as it was moving part of its business to China. Given the information available, I accept it.
Of all the money the government spends, giving students a loan rate let's say the same as they give the banks, would not be unreasonable and we might get a better educated population.
Just consider the billions we keep sending overseas or pay to the farmers, welfare, you know, the never ending list.

Latest posts

Top Bottom