Just picked up the custom AR build I've been waiting on for over a year and a half...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin40_2001

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This>>>>
First, it sounds like the person who put that AR together is a total dipshit.

I personally would have been much more involved in parts and definitely known what type of upper, etc was going on my gun.

I am not a big fan of the Trijicon Reflex so switching to an Aimpoint or Eotech would be best IMO. A flip to side mount is also something I would consider if you get something and need magnification.

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in the original process and I was picking all top of the line parts. I'm somewhat relieved that ever got anything out of him but at the same time I want the damn parts I ordered and paid for and not a gun that was made out of spare parts that are lying around. I'm getting the last of my stuff from him tomorrow hopefully and if the parts WERE actually ordered we'll find it with everything else. At which point I take everything to a shop and have the rifle built how I want.

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This>>>>

I personally would have been much more involved in parts and definitely known what type of upper, etc was going on my gun.

I am not a big fan of the Trijicon Reflex so switching to an Aimpoint or Eotech would be best IMO. A flip to side mount is also something I would consider if you get something and need magnification.

The optic I'm switching to is an aimpoint with flip over 3x magnifier

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at the range again today to finish zero'ing in my reflex (even though I'm probably swapping tomorrow...) and shoot a few rounds through my MarkII because I'm taking a NRA Pistol Instructor Course this weekend and wanted to be ready for the qualification testing. Anyway, the gas block came loose again. It started out where the pmags wouldn't lock in easily, then it started failing to fire and having trouble extracting (live) rounds. I was letting a friend shoot it at the time so I went to take a look and felt the quad rails wiggle so I knew immediately what it was, and I didn't have the allen wrench with me and the gun was freaking HOT obviously so I waited until I got home and fixed it again. Can I put some like blue lock tight on those little set screws on the bottom of the gas block (and would that have been something he should have done to start with when building the rifle?)? Or are there any tricks for keeping that gas block where it needs to be? I tightened them down as snug as I felt comfortable with with that small of an allen wrench (pretty darn tight) last time and it obviously failed quickly, I tightened them a bit more this time but I'm not anywhere near the point where I feel like I can rely on that rifle 100% in a life and death situation (like how I feel with my Glock 30). I'm hoping I can get it to that point.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
how much ( if you dont mind me asking) did you spend on this?

I am intrigued that you were not told what parts make up your rifle. The Gas block was not correctly installed? It took over a year to get? I have a sneaking suspicion someone may have taken you to the cleaners on this.....

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This happens every few years or so when new guys get into ARs and start thinking they're good enough to put one together and sell to someone else. That gun very much looks like a spare parts gun (Std M4 Stock, grip, A2 Flash-hider, flat-trigger guard, no-name railed-gas block, etc. all look like take-off or left-over parts) and it sounds like it wasn't put together very well. The Trijicon Reflex is a decent optic, but it's overpriced if you ask me and large/clunky for what it is. They make plenty of good optics, but the Reflex has never been my first choice.

Pull the sights and check to see if they're Magpul or Airsoft clones. If they have a "PTS" on the front of the sights, then they're Magpul's airsoft/training versions, but there are Chinese clones out there all over:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_109/893596_.html&page=1

If your gas-block was loose, then it's obviously never been function-checked / shot. I'd want to know exactly who made my barrel if I was buying a custom-built AR (is it new/used, how was it made/rifled, is it chrome-lines, M4 extensions, etc.).

Also, does the upper have M4 Feedramps and does the barrel-extension? Not that it's critical, but I wonder if the reason you originally had barrel problems is that the barrel does not and the upper did (that will cause you problems). Check the Bolt and see if it's a fully shrouded carrier or not (and if the gas-key is properly staked).

The old reliable Officer's Forum thread is actually very educational (despite the butt-hurt that referencing items from the Chart causes):

http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?81462-So-you-want-to-buy-an-AR-15-huh

Latest posts

Top Bottom