Just picked up the custom AR build I've been waiting on for over a year and a half...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kinda lost contact with the friend with FFL that ordered the parts and helped me get it set up how I wanted it. It's not exactly as nice of a gun as I was expecting from the price and our discussions (again, been over a year, so I could have a bad memory. Not trying to badmouth anyone). Has a DPMS lower (eh, leaning towards the disappointed side on that but I think over than their bargain bin stuff they make a decent gun, correct? Obviously not super tactical awesome like larue or something). Not sure on upper and barrel, if someone could clue me in on where the identifying markings typically are I can probably find them, I've had it a fair ways apart.

i103.photobucket.com_albums_m133_niquesuave06_AR15pic1.jpg

i103.photobucket.com_albums_m133_niquesuave06_AR15pic2.jpg

i103.photobucket.com_albums_m133_niquesuave06_AR15pic3.jpg

Anyway, heres everything that I know of

Lower- DPMS

Upper - ??? pretty sure it's chromed and if I remember right the headspacing (maybe?) wasn't right for my upper so the barrel war originally sent back and replaced (again, SUPPOSEDLY, from some place that makes each barrel length, twist, coating, flash suppressor, etc to order)

Quad rails are Midwest Industries Bravo Co rails

MBUS pop up irons

Grip Pod brand/Military issued foregrip/bipod (actually acquired it a long time ago before they became commercially available. . .)

Surefire X300 (still need to pick that up from the buddy I bought this from)

.22 conversion kit plus 75 round drum mag for shits and giggles (and those long breaks between paychecks)

Optic is the ACOG Trijicon Reflex which I really really like but I may switch it back from an aimpoint with flip over 3x magnifier (opinions?)

Plus a full case (2200) rounds of 5.56 NATO, might double that order too. . .

My gas block is currently FUBAR'ed so he ordered another that's supposed to be here Wednesday (rails have some wiggle, gas block can be pulled "out"/forward toward the business end of the barrel). I'm itching to shoot, if anyone around Tulsa has a spare gas block and the know how to fix the weapon safely I'd be more than happy to compensate you. I want to shoot this thing so bad it hurts. (edit* obviously I'm smart enough not to shoot it anyway)

Anyhow, if I switch back to the Aimpoint then I'm going to swap back to a the original stock he was getting me (had storage for 2x CR123 + something else small built in).

I also have about 12 PMAGs and 1 older aluminum (?, coated steel maybe?) 30 rounder as well.

Let me know what you all think :wave:

-Nick

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will do! Hopefully if I don't find a railed gas block ahead of Wednesday than I'll just let him handle putting it on I guess. . .taking my NRA instructors course this weekend so I need to be practicing with the .22 anyway.

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got to looking at it closer and had a knowledgeable buddy take a look and all that I needed to do was tighten the set screws on the gas block. Took it to the range and it shot great. Finally got the acog sighted in. Not 100% using my bipod but all I had time for tonight!

Love the gun!

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put about 100 more rounds through it today, did great. Finally got it real close to zero'ed. BUT. . .I think I'm going to make a few changes. I already added the Ergo-n (-n I think?) grip, but I think I'm switching my stock to a Command Arms CBST 6-position with the compartment for 2 CR123's, and also switching my optic to an aimpoint with flip over 3x magnifier to make it able to accurately and/or quickly shoot a wider range of distances. I already ordered the extended or larger mag release.

Now I need opinions: Am I moving the wrong direction here (I'll get $240 cash in return for the acog trijicon reflex, so keep that in mind) by going from reflex-only but requires no batteries, or would I be better off and more versatile with the aimpoint and 3x flip over magnifier? Are the electronics reliable, how abuse and water tolerant are they? I'm really new to the AR world so I'm not sure what to do. Ideally I'd go buy a magnified acog trijicon and keep what I have now but I can't afford to do that and I think I'd like the added range...

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, it sounds like the person who put that AR together is a total dipshit. I would never give a "custom" built AR back to the customer with the rails and gas block wobbling. Did this jackass even test fire and function check the weapon? Let me answer that, No he did not. I hope you didn't over pay because the parts used are subpar at best. I don't understand why people must build an AR with not-so-decent parts, and usually over pay, when a quality upper can be had from BCM that you know will have an extremely stupid high chance of NOT having problems. It's still possible, but more unlikely than having some tactical dildo wannabe gunsmith put together AR. If it were me, and it's not me but if it was, I'd sell the upper and get a BCM upper. By the amount of ammo you claim to have bought it sounds like you plan on doing some serious shooting, more than most of the people on this forum do, so you shouldn't set yourself up for failure by using a subpar upper.

Second, that's not an ACOG. It's a Trijicon Reflex. No ACOG. I know that's being nitpicky, but that's just me. I have no opinion on keepin it or selling it for an Aimpoint or Eotech. As long as you go with one of the newer Eotech's or Aimpoints, you won't have any problems. They're built good, good enough for out troops to use. If you wanna know more about them, there are literally tons of YouTube reviews and reviews everywhere all over the Internet. Google search is your friend.

How did you acquire the grip-pod thingy before they were commercially available?

Latest posts

Top Bottom